Author Topic: [17] easy component parameter editing  (Read 1976 times)

Offline shebu18Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
[17] easy component parameter editing
« on: November 16, 2017, 09:25:52 am »
Hello,

I created the component i use in my schematics in a schlib file and the footprints in a pcblib file. Everything worked out ok.

The problem i have now is that i want to add some parameters to all the components (value, tolerance, manufacturer, PN, etc).

Q1: Is there a way to view all the components in a schlib file, in a excel way and add or remove or edit parameters as i want?

I know that i can edit each component individually but that would be to much work. (adding every parameter to every component and then add the value for the parameter).

I read about dblib and how to implement it with access or a postgresql database. This would mean that i have to recreate all the components, something i would like to avoid.

Q2: is there a guide on setting up the database and add components to it?

Thanks

Offline Gribo

• Frequent Contributor
Re: [17] easy component parameter editing
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 12:52:10 pm »
There is the parameter manager. Tools -> parameter manager.
I am available for freelance work.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 01:21:55 pm »
Thank you for your answer.

Does the Parameter manager allow me to modify the parameters of all components in an schlib at the same time?

Offline Mikekoz13

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 12:05:34 pm »
Thank you for your answer.

Does the Parameter manager allow me to modify the parameters of all components in an schlib at the same time?

The answer is "yes".

You can add a parameter to all or selected components. You can select and modify groups of parameters. I use it all the time. It's powerful, easy to use, and makes quick work of multiple parameter changes.
You can not delete footprints from components while in it but you can change/modify footprint names.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 12:19:07 pm »
I tested it yesterday evening, exactly what i wanted. Works great!

For future proofing i will try to set up a sql library.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 10:00:20 am »
So i managed to set up the sql database and also make it work with Altium.

For this i used postgresql installed on an server and created the database and a user for the database. For managing the database i use pgAdmin 4 and for entering data i use DBeaver (also libreoffice base can be used).
In altium i set up the conenction with odbc (downloaded from postgre) and i can manage the components and use them in schematics.

It would be nice to create a gui for entering all the data from a component and then send it to the database as a query. But this task is dependent on the table column structure in the database. Every one likes to have other columns.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf