Author Topic: How do I split a harness to multiple harness connector?  (Read 2987 times)

Offline PlectoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
How do I split a harness to multiple harness connector?
« on: January 30, 2018, 11:29:26 am »
Is it possible to have several signals going into one harness in one sheet and then 'split' them out over several other sheets? Among other signals, I have six USBs going from one hub to six different sheets, I would like to avoid having six harnesses if possible :)

Offline Ysjoelfir

• Frequent Contributor
Re: How do I split a harness to multiple harness connector?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 02:41:27 pm »
If i understand you correctly you mean something like this (see attachment 1, 2)?
If so - yes, you can. as long as the sheets are in the same project they share one harness definition.
You can just reuse the harness connector on every sheet you need it.
Don't forget to use non DRC markers on the unused harness entrys and if you (as I understand it) use only one harness connector per sheet
you need a port at the harness input and potentially a sheet where you just connect sheet symbols with the corresponding ports and a harness in between. (attachments 3, 4)
Make sure that the harness definitions and names for both sheet entrys and connectors are identical (accidentally I named it in attachment 3 Test_Offsheet and in attachment 4 Harness_Test - they should be identical.).

Edit: some typos... new keyboard ;)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 03:18:53 pm by Ysjoelfir »
Greetings, Kai \ Ysjoelfir

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
Re: How do I split a harness to multiple harness connector?
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 10:09:05 pm »
Harnesses can contain other harnesses, so you could define a USB harness, and then define a multi-USB harness where each harness entry is itself a USB harness.  You would set the "Harness Type" for the Harness Entries in the higher level harness to match the lower level harnesses.  However, you can't, as far as I know, fan those subharnesses out directly from the main harness like you would with bus entries.  At each fan-out point you'd have to have the multi harness connector and then connect out the individual harnesses you want from there.  You also can't have a bus of harnesses.

From what you've described, though, six separate USB harnesses is probably the easiest and graphically the clearest option.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf