Author Topic: altium 18 dwg file import  (Read 2846 times)

Offline karsTopic starter

• Contributor
altium 18 dwg file import
« on: April 20, 2018, 03:18:30 pm »
hi all!
i got a couple of .DWG files id like to open in altium designer 18.
the trouble is, i have not got a clue of how to import those bloody things!
import wizard doesn't do the trick, i dont have an import button and when i tell windows to open the file with altium, it starts altium but shows me the file in solidworks's Edrawings which i have installed.
i checked and i can confirm i have ticked the box to add support for .DWG files in the install thing.
any suggestions would be very welcome!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 03:31:15 pm by kars »

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
Re: altium 18 dwg file import
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 07:49:22 pm »
Into PCB or schematic?  I just imported a DWG into a PCB the other day using File > Import > DXF/DWG and it worked just fine.  Just tried it again in both pcb and sch and it works just fine, except not with 2018 DWGs.  2013 works fine.

Be aware that the Altium importer doesn't properly support all DWG features, so things like associative arrays, blocks, and text may not be translated correctly.  For best results, arrays and blocks should be exploded before importing.  I think there are issues with polylines containing arcs as well, so it wouldn't hurt to explode everything down to basic primitives first.

Offline karsTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: altium 18 dwg file import
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 12:24:00 pm »
thanks! that "Into PCB or schematic?" bit helped me, i was trying to import it from the main menu so i could not find the import option only the import wizard.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf