Author Topic: Altium Gerber Export - Board Outline  (Read 47016 times)

Offline x18Topic starter

• Contributor
Altium Gerber Export - Board Outline
« on: September 16, 2011, 04:37:25 pm »
a new problem: how to create a board outline in my gerber files? do i have to draw an outline by myself for example in the top layer? or is there any special command?

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
Re: Altium Gerber Export - Board Outline
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 10:22:26 pm »
I did the outline in altium designer before i generated the gerbers.

The first thing i did was to draw continuous tracks/arcs around my design to mark the shape i wanted, then i selected all these tracks/arcs and clicked the option to derive board shape from objects. This made my pcb look the right shape.

Later on i added more tracks around my design (old ones had been deleted) I set these tracks to be on their own mechanical layer which i renamed to 'BoardOutline'.
I wasn't sure if the outline track would be cut out with a router bit in the center (thus removing material ether side of the track center. So i made the track really thin, so it was more obvious that it was an outline rather than a router path.

Then on the 'fabnotes' layer i had text to say the boardoutline layer was to show the edge of the pcb for routing.

I dunno if that's the correct way to do it, i wanted the fab house to do my pcb with rounded corners and they did exactly what i expected.

I think i also told them about wanting routing in the website notes section when i submitted the gerbers.

Also, don't forget to include any extra layers you have (fabnotes,boardoutline) when you generate the gerbers.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 10:49:28 pm by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline joelby

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 01:45:15 pm »
I usually just do my outline in the overlay layer and have never had any trouble.

It's worth moving the board to the origin as well!

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 02:04:53 pm »
I draw the board outline on a mechanical layer and export that as a separate gerber layer.
Be sure to set the board reference point on that outline (I use bottom left corner), and also select the outline and set it as the board outline in Altium (menu option). That enables the 3D mode to work correctly.
You can use other layers (like silkscreen or copper) but those are messy, better to have juts one mech layer devoted to the board outline.

Dave.

The following users thanked this post: jusaca

Offline x18Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 04:56:53 pm »
Ok. I think I did everything right. I hope iteadstudio doesn't critize the gerber files I sent them.

Offline shadewind

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 07:19:56 pm »
I second Dave on the separate layer. In Altium, I usually use Mechanical 1 for this.

Offline x18Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 08:21:35 pm »
I drew it into the Top Overlay Layer. Hope thats not a problem.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 10:51:24 pm »
I drew it into the Top Overlay Layer. Hope thats not a problem.

It's not really, they'll figure it out, that's their job.
It's just that if it's a thick line then you'll likely get some silkscreen around the edge of your board and that can look messy.
They use the center of the line as the marker, so some people do that and complain why their silkscreen board outline is "chopped off".
Using a thin 1thou outline shows that it's obviously for mechanical detail, but I often use 5 thou on the mechanical layer so it shows on screen better.
Having separate layers is much nice, as it allows you to turn the layer off and on at will, and then if you want to do a silkscreen board outline, it's easy to place the silkscreen line just where you want it inside the board cutout.
It is common to use a keepout layer for a board outline too, so then you can place copper pours and do DRC checks etc easily.
But really, the mechanical layers are there for this specific reason, use them.

Dave.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 11:38:07 pm »
So does the machine router path (that's used to cut your board out) get positioned so the edge of the cutting bit follows the centre of your board outline tracks?

eg.. The router path follows a track which is larger than your board outline track center by half the width of whatever router bit size they use?

Is that correct?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 11:39:43 pm by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 12:36:59 am »
So does the machine router path (that's used to cut your board out) get positioned so the edge of the cutting bit follows the centre of your board outline tracks?

eg.. The router path follows a track which is larger than your board outline track center by half the width of whatever router bit size they use?

Is that correct?

Correctamundo. They handle the offsetting of whatever size router bit they use.
So if the specify a 50mm wide board from center to center of the outlines, you get a 50mm wide board.

Dave.

Offline gxti

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 07:38:24 pm »
I use the KeepOut layer, this also conveniently sets back any fills by a little bit from the edge of the board. I haven't had to use any internal keep-outs though so it would probably cause problems if I needed those.

Offline hesam.moshiri

• Regular Contributor
    • MyVanitar
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 09:18:34 am »
Hello,

I want to generate Gerber files in Altium Designer, but I don't know why it doesn't generate outline or keep out (*.GKO) in Gerber files correctly and always it's blank! (board has Keep out layer as well).

By the way, I also changed that keep out to one mechanical layer also (GM1) to maybe see any difference, but also it generates blank page for this also.

What's the problem?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 09:10:53 pm »
Hello,

I want to generate Gerber files in Altium Designer, but I don't know why it doesn't generate outline or keep out (*.GKO) in Gerber files correctly and always it's blank! (board has Keep out layer as well).

By the way, I also changed that keep out to one mechanical layer also (GM1) to maybe see any difference, but also it generates blank page for this also.

What's the problem?

Do you have those layers selected in the check boxes before outputting? (silly question)
Other than that. if the other layers generate correctly and those ones don't, then it sounds like a nasty bug.
If it's urgent, contact Altium support directly would be your best bet.

Dave.

Offline hesam.moshiri

• Regular Contributor
    • MyVanitar
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 10:30:44 pm »
Hello,

Yeah, of course, I always select relative layers' check boxes. and yes, other layers published correctly except this outline border line. really it's strange and I think, as you mentioned maybe it's a bug. I use version 10.7.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 10:51:17 pm »
Hello,

Yeah, of course, I always select relative layers' check boxes. and yes, other layers published correctly except this outline border line. really it's strange and I think, as you mentioned maybe it's a bug. I use version 10.7.

AD10 has LOTS of bugs and issues.
But something like Gerber generation is a show stopper. I'd get in contact with Altium (whoever's left there) and get them to fix it for you ASAP.

Dave.

Offline hesam.moshiri

• Regular Contributor
    • MyVanitar
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2012, 09:26:47 am »
Thanks, I'm waiting for results.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2012, 10:10:15 am »
Let us know how it goes.
I've heard occasional reports over the years on the Altium forum about such gerber issues, but have never encountered any such thing myself using any public release version.

Dave.

Offline hesam.moshiri

• Regular Contributor
    • MyVanitar
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 12:34:02 pm »
Let us know how it goes.
I've heard occasional reports over the years on the Altium forum about such gerber issues, but have never encountered any such thing myself using any public release version.

Dave.

Yeah, the amazing thing here is even when I change it with other layers like TopOverally, Bottom Layer .... , it still doesn't include it  :o

Offline hesam.moshiri

• Regular Contributor
    • MyVanitar
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 06:52:06 pm »
Yeah  :)

Finally I found the case of problem. this Keepout check box must be unchecked, otherwise it will never ever printed in Gerber!!. look at the picture bellow.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 06:54:19 pm by hesam.moshiri »

The following users thanked this post: gnif, aylons, zoey

Offline mobbarley

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2012, 06:06:10 am »
I think you'll find it will automatically end up on your GKO layer (if you export it)... Not 100% on that though...

Offline JuKu

• Frequent Contributor
    • LitePlacer - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2012, 06:27:37 am »
There is a keepout layer. Everything you draw on that is a keepout, and that's where traditionally board outlines are drawn. Then there are layer specific keepouts, that are design aids only, and are not included in Gerbers. Two somewhat different things with the same name, no wonder this confuses first time users.
http://www.liteplacer.com - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2012, 07:04:21 am »
Finally I found the case of problem. this Keepout check box must be unchecked, otherwise it will never ever printed in Gerber!!. look at the picture bellow.

Ah, of course, obvious once you know!

Dave.

Offline Randall W. Lott

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 03:14:22 am »
Design > Board Shape > Create Primitives From Board Shape

I always use a dedicated mechanical layer with 5mil tracks for the board outline.  I place dimensions for the overall board cutout as well.  This is something your manufacturer will appreciate.  It will also benefit you when you're taking a quick glace to check sizes.

I apologize if you already knew or weren't interested in this.  Take care.
- Randy

The following users thanked this post: FivePoint03

Offline dfnr2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2012, 01:28:24 am »
I used to use a separate mechanical layer as mentioned above by several others. 

More recently, I've been using a 20-mil thick outline on the actual top and bottom copper layers, in order to flag a design-rule clearance violation if any tracks or pads get too close to the edge.  I put a note in the "README" file to this effect, and indicate that this copper should not be on the actual board.  I suppose I could just use tracks during development and then delete them at the end, but this is easy and consistent, and I have never had a problem with it.  The altium facility for creating primitives from the board outline and vice-versa is a wonderful thing.

Dave

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2012, 01:42:21 am »
I used to use a separate mechanical layer as mentioned above by several others. 

More recently, I've been using a 20-mil thick outline on the actual top and bottom copper layers, in order to flag a design-rule clearance violation if any tracks or pads get too close to the edge.

That is what the keepout layer is for.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf