Author Topic: Altium more than one designer collaboration workflow  (Read 2514 times)

Offline ColdKeyboardTopic starter

• Contributor
    • Sasa Karanovic
Altium more than one designer collaboration workflow
« on: August 09, 2017, 01:02:48 am »
What is the workflow in Altium when you have more than one designer working on schematic?

I'm looking at Altium SVN + tortoise + GitHub. So far I've got it to work and I'm able to pull/push changes, do diff check and etc but I'm not sure if there is a
"proper" way of setting this up? Or can someone suggest what is the good way to use SVN in Altium to have more than one designer collaborate seamlessly?

Would setting up a separate SVN server and have that dedicated for syncing projects in Altium be a better solution than using GitHub (it does svn-to-git conversion on server side)?

One thing I was especially amazed with was diff checker in Altium that shows you schematics side-by-side with every little detail that was changed between two revisions... absolutely amazing.

I'm interested to see what experiences did you have and what turned out to work the best?
Also I hope this will help someone who is considering Altium + SVN get that final push to do it. :)
I share most of my work at sasakaranovic.com
Also you can follow me @Twitter, @Facebook or contact me on Skype

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Altium more than one designer collaboration workflow
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 01:16:16 am »
Member https://www.eevblog.com/forum/profile/?u=446 can give you good advice as he runs a team doing just this.
PM him with a link to this thread and ask him for comment.

Or you can hunt back though his posts.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 03:10:05 pm »
1) have dedicated svn server. SERVER. not just a repository .
2) install tortoisesvn on cad workstation.
3) make local repository to perform the initial 'pull'.
4) do the rest inside altium ( altium talks SVN directly to your local repository )

inside altium : lock files when you are working on them.
Commit the files from within altium ( let it manage what and what not to include )

Works like a champ.

They will support Git in ad18. right now stick to svn ( don't transform the system)
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 04:03:26 am »
what does having your own server do that having a repository on another server doesn't?

is it just that having it local to the office (assuming all team is co-located) is faster? Or do you actually need to jump in there and poke the server's guts occasionally?

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 03:23:36 pm »
- Access control through active directory. group policies etc ... who can do what edit what files.
- http interface for file browsing so we can point at files from Sharepoint, Jira and other tools.
- DFS for multiserver and workload balancing ( i have 300+ altium users ... )

and i can hand it to the IT guys which make sure it gets backed up online, offline, onsite and offsite.

it doesnt cost anything. simply deploy visualsvn and off you go.
install tortoise int he cad stations and let altium do the rest.

However, since i have a large vault ... i am migrating away from SVN. lifecycle tracking is so much easier in the vault. what is used where, parts requests , all can be managed inside the vault. i can force the way to work , release templates, output generation. is all handled in a consistent way and for the CAD user a one-click thing.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

The following users thanked this post: julianhigginson

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf