Author Topic: Altium polygon pour weirdness  (Read 18488 times)

Offline shadewindTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Altium polygon pour weirdness
« on: March 28, 2011, 04:10:19 pm »
I'm designing a board in Altium which uses a 0.5mm QFP part. I have a ground pour on the top layer but the polygon connects for the pads on this chip end up pretty weird:

I can see what's happening here. It cuts off the "horn" which is desirable but the polygon connect "track" doesn't hit the polygon the right way. Does anyone know a way around this?

Offline Hypernova

• Supporter
Re: A!tium polygon pour weirdness
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 05:21:11 pm »
Easiest way is to route out a short track to meet the polygon.

Offline RayJones

• Frequent Contributor
    • Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 08:00:05 pm »
Yes, use deliberate tracks, and ensure the polygon will seamlessly pour over these tracks.
There is an option name for this but it eludes me right now.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 11:33:38 pm »
That is a known issue with the polygon pour, as yet not fixed.
Yes, the workaround is to lay a track.

Dave.

Offline VIPR

• Contributor
  • "Lead, follow, or get out the way!" --TP
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 10:49:44 pm »
I'm really surprised they did not fix this in the new 10.0 version that just came out to the public 2 weeks ago. They certainly did improve the polygon manager in the newest version--along with many other things. I would certainly prefer proper performance of exiting functions over new functionality.  :)

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 09:41:01 am »
Unfortunately for the PCB/schematic users their focus is now more toward content and the Live site than the core tools.

Dave.

Offline tesla500

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 05:05:28 pm »
It looks like the polygon is trying to maintain clearance to the GND node. I guess it's because the RST track is so close that the thermal relief can't be put in place, and the polygon algorithm is cutting off the edge so as not to produce a sharp "point".

In the polygon options, check that "pour over all same net objects" is selected. This may mess up thermal reliefs though.

David

Offline Hypernova

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 04:04:15 pm »
It looks like the polygon is trying to maintain clearance to the GND node. I guess it's because the RST track is so close that the thermal relief can't be put in place, and the polygon algorithm is cutting off the edge so as not to produce a sharp "point".

In the polygon options, check that "pour over all same net objects" is selected. This may mess up thermal reliefs though.

David

It won't, the effect you are thinking would be from "direct connect"<polygon connect style<rules.

Now, there is in fact a way to fix this without drawing your own track, create a rule that apply to pads of that component+net+class combination and set it to direct connect. use "find similar" to help you build the rules for that pad. Tweak the rules carefully least you end up with a bigger cluster fuck than what you are trying to fix.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf