Author Topic: Altium SVN - Knows files are in repo but refuses to do anything about it.  (Read 2239 times)

Offline SVFeingoldTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
I'm having a very frustrating problem - I keep my Altium SVN repositories locally in a Dropbox folder. Recently, my top-level Dropbox folder name changed from "Dropbox (Personal)" to "Dropbox." Thanks Dropbox, for this idiotic naming scheme that seems to confuse every single program.

Anyway, I figured this was no big deal. I made the change in the filepath to point to the correct (new) name inside Altium's version control settings. All of the repos connect and test fine. Only when I open projects...it's like they don't exist. None of the usual version control icons are next to any of the files. If I go to the version control menu the only options not greyed out are "Refresh" and "Add to Version Control."

Refresh does nothing. Add to VC prompts the message "*filename* is already under version control." Well, great, then why can't you find it??

If I open the repo in TortoiseSVN everything is there, all the revisions, all the comments. Altium's storage manager shows nothing except a save history which I can't do anything with, but none of the commits or comments. WTF?

So now I apparently have a perfectly intact repo that Altium can't seem to access for whatever reason, even though it can connect to them just fine. And my files are now basically "banned" from any further version control since Altium decided to just throw up warning messages with no apparent recourse.

Can anyone help me figure out what I'm supposed to do here? I can't believe that a simple directory name change would wreak such havoc. There must be something I'm missing, because an expectation that directory structures must be carved in stone for all eternity seems abjectly moronic.

Thanks for any assistance!

Offline SVFeingoldTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Altium SVN - Knows files are in repo but refuses to do anything about it.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 04:43:14 am »
Alright, I think I figured it out...

Based on advice from StackOverFlow, I deleted the .svn folder in the working directory of interest (where all of my Altium files for a particular project are). After that I ran "Add Project Folder to Version Control" from the version control menu in Altium. It threw up an error for each file about a conflict. I then went through and selected each file and clicked "Revert." After that things seem to work normally, with the version control info intact.

The only caveat is that before the revert, if you try to commit the project immediately after adding the folder, all of the versioned files show "Scheduled for Deletion" on account of the conflict. If you run the commit, I believe it will delete all of the files from your working directory, so make sure you revert each file you want to keep before running a commit - make a backup first. 

If you've already made changes to your files before running into this issue, I don't know what to tell you...I guess that's another Google hunt!

There may be an easier way to do this. Or maybe not, based on the extreme arousal that software developers get from overly convoluted and non-intuitive systems. Either way it seems to be working for now...

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 09:05:45 am »
Putting source control repositories in magic pocket folder replication systems isn't the best idea.

Have you considered a proper svn remote?

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 03:08:36 am »
I'm having a very frustrating problem - I keep my Altium SVN repositories locally in a Dropbox folder. Recently, my top-level Dropbox folder name changed from "Dropbox (Personal)" to "Dropbox." Thanks Dropbox, for this idiotic naming scheme that seems to confuse every single program.

Why are you keeping a working copy in a Dropbox folder? You should check out working copies to local drives, or at least somewhere that doesn’t automagically sync behind your back.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf