Author Topic: Altium  (Read 17492 times)

Offline LawsenTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Altium
« on: September 27, 2011, 06:23:12 pm »
I would like to try the Altium.  The price for the Altium software is out of my reach, too high.  Altium is an Australian product and very good for printed circuit board design.  I have learned how to do it the old way with Mylar film and sticky tape on to mask and use copper plated boards and etch the copper and use a small drill mounted like a drill press and drill my own holes carefully.  I do not known of an easier way.  I do not plan on mass producing what I made, maybe not more than one to twenty at most, if friends wants to buy my cook book instructed 555 oscillator or 3 functions pocket signal generator.  From my other studies at the university, that I always have my own nice Nikon and Zeiss microscopes to check the self etched boards.  The dissolved copper goes into a container and hauled to a recycling agency. 

http://live.altium.com/#pricing
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 06:25:16 pm by Lawsen »

Offline Joshua

• Regular Contributor
Altium
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 07:30:54 pm »
ummmm.....what?

Offline slateraptor

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Altium
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 09:05:13 pm »
ummmm.....what?

My thoughts exactly. ::)

Offline DrGeoff

• Frequent Contributor
    • AXT Systems
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 10:10:52 pm »
I'd like to try the new Ferrari, but the price is just too high ...
Was it really supposed to do that?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 11:47:09 pm »
Do you actually have a question in there?

Yes, Altium's price is high-ish, and it is insane that they do not offer a lower cost entry level version. I argued so often for that, that I have almost given up.
But it actually represents fairly good value for the market they target.

Dave.

Offline reagle

• Supporter
    • KuzyaTech
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 02:05:17 am »
Exactly- to put it in perspective, we can get 3+ seats of Altium for what Mentor wants for one Pads seat..

Offline yanir

• Regular Contributor
Altium
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 02:59:42 am »
Almost reads like a spam bot trying to impersonate someone who doesn't have a command of the English language. Having a link in there is suspicious. I don't mean to offend if you are real.

I love using altium for my work/projects. paid put of pocket for it. Its low enough that if you really want it you can afford it. I just don't like the subscription fee system recently implemented, but it could be worse.

Offline joelby

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 03:44:37 am »
I strongly suspect that Lawsen is an advanced discussion bot that automatically comes up with a series of interesting, unrelated statements that mix electronics, Australia, geology, and plotters in order to provoke furious debate.

Altium's student subscription pricing isn't too bad if you're a student ($120ish/year), though I don't actually have any idea what the license terms are (I suppose I should find out!)

From memory I just had to supply a scan of my student ID.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 06:42:05 am »
I strongly suspect that Lawsen is an advanced discussion bot that automatically comes up with a series of interesting, unrelated statements that mix electronics, Australia, geology, and plotters in order to provoke furious debate.

It works, we love furious debate here!  ;D

Altium's student subscription pricing isn't too bad if you're a student ($120ish/year), though I don't actually have any idea what the license terms are (I suppose I should find out!)

IIRC, it is non-commercial use only, and times out in a years time. You can't get a student perpetual license.

Dave.

Offline joelby

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 06:57:59 am »
IIRC, it is non-commercial use only, and times out in a years time. You can't get a student perpetual license.

Fortunately, you can be a perpetual student!

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 07:11:51 am »
I strongly suspect that Lawsen is an advanced discussion bot
lets break it! i still remember his thread, i still give this as number one, i'm not sure if this is a new kind of forum, joke, or what, or as you said, bot. it really testing me as human in understanding semantics... Lawsen's - BASIC Stamp. with only few words, he covered almost everything. if all you want to achieve is etching few diy pcb's, then why dont u just use DipTrace... for free, it saved me aalooot of time comparing when i used Photoshop.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline slateraptor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 04:01:04 am »

LMFAO!!

--slateraptor, who is thankful for a certain Altium license server in a certain university's private network...which can certainly be circumvented. ;)

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 08:42:09 am »
Dave, did they at least offered you a free license?

;D ;D ;D

Do you actually have a question in there?

Yes, Altium's price is high-ish, and it is insane that they do not offer a lower cost entry level version. I argued so often for that, that I have almost given up.
But it actually represents fairly good value for the market they target.

Dave.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 11:04:02 am »

LMFAO!!

--slateraptor, who is thankful for a certain Altium license server in a certain university's private network...which can certainly be circumvented. ;)

If you've ever followed the keyword "Altium" on Twitter, every second post is for a cracked version of the program  ;D

Dave.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 11:10:14 am »
Dave, did they at least offered you a free license?

Yes, I have a 12 months subscription.
And they will be too stupid to renew it, because they have no idea the publicity I am able to give them through the blog by continuing to give me access to it.
(and they don't like me anyway  ;D)

Normally they would be reading this, but there is no one left at Altium to do so!  :P

Dave.

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2011, 12:52:20 pm »
Normally they would be reading this, but there is no one left at Altium to do so!  :P

Dave.
Perhaps if you duplicated it in Cantonese?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 04:02:08 am »

Dave.

or Ukrainian
Rumor has it that they can't find enough good cheap programmers in China (and if you can, they don't stay long), so they are looking for talent in the Ukraine.

Dave.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 07:02:40 am »

Dave.

or Ukrainian
Rumor has it that they can't find enough good cheap programmers in China (and if you can, they don't stay long), so they are looking for talent in the Ukraine.

Dave.

Mmm, female Ukrainian programmers! Me like it.

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2011, 08:07:10 am »
female Ukrainian programmers!
gender bias! :D you need to be "measured up" in order to be in their list.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline LawsenTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2011, 09:23:57 pm »
I think my Atium topic on the General Chat section should be moved to the Printed circuit board section, because there is a similar posting on April 2011 about Atium for hobbyist.  Which is exactly what I enjoy to do in my spare time.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3067.60

I did not get too helpful suggestions.  I will try this software in the future by Eagle PCB software with an hobbyist.  I am not paid as a design engineer.  I am giant HP plotter belt changer.  I do some geology aside like studying volcanic and mafic rocks.  Atium is impressive.  I used to draw circuit boards by hand at community college and then Auto CAD. We used to have a few printed circuit board plants here in California.  Tougher environmental laws and expensive labor rates of $8/hour have driven many out of the U.S.A.

http://www.cadsoftusa.com/shop/pricing/?language=en

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2011, 01:09:24 am »
good find bot! do you have to repeat all that?o ok, there's additional stuff... $8/hr.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf