Author Topic: Circuit Studio has potential  (Read 7345 times)

Offline jmarkwolfTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Circuit Studio has potential
« on: March 13, 2015, 01:11:43 pm »
I'm surprised there isn't more buzz about the roll-out of Crcuit Studio yet.

I downloaded it and have been checking it out, although I haven't done an end-to-end design yet. So far I'm encouraged, although I think it's priced a little high.

But if you consider the non-optional 1st year of support is $500, then that makes the software $2500 Maybe it's not too bad.

I've been using Protel/Altium every day at work for nearly 20 years, and I'm considering plunking my money down for use at home when I retire and start consulting.

If Circuit Studio was just a little more capable........  :-//

Does anyone know about any discussion/options about "post processors" making this tool more productive, like how to make translators from the native CsPcbDoc file format into the Altium ASCII PcbDoc? Or the native netlist formats into a variey of other netlist formats? Or incorporating the old Camtastic, etc, etc.

Just thinking out loud.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 01:13:51 pm by jmarkwolf »

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
Re: Circuit Studio has potential
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 01:14:11 pm »
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 01:31:16 pm »
I agree (uurgh!), but consider that Altium Designer is something like $9000.

Even Eagle is almost $2000 for the full boat package.

So Far, it looks like Circuit Studio is "almost" the pared down Altium we've all been harping about for years now...

With some official updates and some "user community development" and post-processors it might be a real contender for those of us that would really like to continue to use "Altium" when we won't have access to it through work.

Offline RF-Tech

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 05:50:41 pm »
I don't think your price is correct, element14 has it at $2990.00 before tax.  It's kind of confusing, it says that the price includes 1 year of support, does that mean its included in the $2990, or is it $2990 + 495?
-S

Offline wreeve

• Supporter
    • embedded u systems limited
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 05:59:15 pm »
I've not started my trial yet. I use Protel99SE every day; not had the time to try CS on a new project. The lack of support for Protel99SE files is a deal-breaker for me I think; hundreds of designs in that format. I could justify the price if it gets me from design to a final board layout faster (and thus cheaper) than 99SE...I must trial it really to see.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 06:01:03 pm by wreeve »

Offline wreeve

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 06:00:04 pm »
P.S. No one pays Farnell list prices do they? One phone call to your manager usually gets a min of 10% of any order!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 06:35:01 pm »
The way I read it, the software and 1-year of support for the $2990 - "Standalone perpetual commercial license, AD15 single site with 1 year subscription"

Funny they call it out as "AD15".

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 06:57:23 pm »
Wreeve wrote: "I've not started my trial yet. I use Protel99SE every day; not had the time to try CS on a new project. The lack of support for Protel99SE files is a deal-breaker for me I think; hundreds of designs in that format. I could justify the price if it gets me from design to a final board layout faster (and thus cheaper) than 99SE...I must trial it really to see."

I used and liked 99SE for a long time as well. Had to give it up when I "updated" to WIN7. What OS are you running it on?

Offline wreeve

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 07:19:10 pm »
Windows 8.1 but I went through windows 7 with it; it's a pain to get running under Win7 and 8; had to install on an XP machine then copy over the files manually and set permissions etc. I did trial DXP etc but it never offered me anything new. I only use schematic capture and PCB layout so never needed the fancy features; which is why Circuit Studio looked good; almost aimed at the older Protel brigade!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 08:04:08 pm »
I inquired with Newark about discounts. They said it is "non-discountable". They said Eagle has never been offerred at discount either.

I've got numerous questions in to the Newark tech support folks as well. Apparently the are fresh back from Circuit Studio training.

Offline Christopher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 08:51:31 pm »
Blind leading the blind then...

I have a licence for this software. The ribbon confuses the hell out of me (after just learning AD14  |O) but shows potential over the next year. Altium are quick at answering any questions I have and good at fixing any reported bugs.

But would I buy it yet? No. Maybe after a 6 months to a year. The lack of exporting 3d models and saving/opening AD files is a bit silly.

In the company I work for, the Engineers could use Circuit Studio and the PCB designers could use AD. Currently we have four licences (one for each of the PCB designers) and the engineers (over 15 of us) are stuck with pen and pencil.

Offline DerekG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 11:12:47 pm »
I'm surprised there isn't more buzz about the roll-out of Circuit Studio yet.
Much of the information you are seeking can be found in this existing Circuit Studio thread:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/altium/altium-circuit-studio/
I also sat between Elvis & Bigfoot on the UFO.

Offline daedalus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 12:51:44 am »
if you think circuit studio has potential, then select 2 traces on a pcb and drag them. apparently this is the kind of advanced enterprise feature that a professional pcb designer would never need :)

Hell try making a round board, or a pcb with rounded contours.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 01:03:03 am »
I'm surprised there isn't more buzz about the roll-out of Crcuit Studio yet.
I downloaded it and have been checking it out, although I haven't done an end-to-end design yet. So far I'm encouraged, although I think it's priced a little high.

That is why no one is buzzing about it, they priced it completely wrong.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 11:17:56 am »
After over 30 years of designing circuit boards, I don't recall ever needing/wanting to drag multiple traces simultaneously, so if Circuit Studio can't do that, I can live with it.

I was able to make a round board perimeter without any difficulty, or am I missing something?

Offline daedalus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 04:27:09 pm »
jmarkwolf,

I regularly route a subcircuit, then want to move it around on the pcb as the layout progresses / a change is needed. When I did my trial this resulted in an error box if you had more then one trace section selected in the bit you are moving. That seemed rather important to me.

When I did my trial the arc tool caused some strange sync issues where the ratsnest lines started pointing to nowhere.

Its been weeks since my trial ran out, have these both been fixed?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 05:30:07 pm »
jmarkwolf,

I regularly route a subcircuit, then want to move it around on the pcb as the layout progresses / a change is needed. When I did my trial this resulted in an error box if you had more then one trace section selected in the bit you are moving. That seemed rather important to me.

When I did my trial the arc tool caused some strange sync issues where the ratsnest lines started pointing to nowhere.

Its been weeks since my trial ran out, have these both been fixed?

Hi daedalus

I will typically just bump vertices of tracks rather than drag entire tracks or segments of tracks.

Yes, I saw some of the ratsnets pointing "nowhere" also, but the full-boat Altium has that same prob on occasion. Seems to sync back up and heal itself eventually.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf