Author Topic: Circuit Studio PCB file format conversion  (Read 5348 times)

Offline jmarkwolfTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Circuit Studio PCB file format conversion
« on: September 09, 2015, 12:35:05 am »
I am pleased that Circuit Studio v1.1.0 now reads Altium PcbDoc files (as well as SchDoc's, Lib's and projects), but apparently only writes it's own CsPcbDoc file format.

When I design a board for customers I usually give them the Altium schematic and PCB databases (many of my customers have Altium).

Now that I'll be using Circuit Studio I won't have the option to give them Altium PCB files.

Has anybody investigated the native Circuit Studio PCB file format?

I'm wondering how big a task it would be to create a utility to translate Circuit Studio PCB files to Altium format. Are such files typically encrypted somehow?

Offline jmarkwolfTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Circuit Studio PCB file format conversion
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 11:40:56 am »
I made the change because I won't have access to Altium when I retire, and I can't justify the cost of Altium for part time consulting when I do.

All the customer ultimately needs is the manufacturing files. Supplying the design databases was just a nice gesture/bonus.

I'm surprised you didn't ask why customers with Altium are having outside contractors doing their designs? :)

« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 12:09:17 pm by jmarkwolf »

Offline PM33AUD

Re: Circuit Studio PCB file format conversion
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 03:52:25 pm »
http://www.element14.com/community/community/manufacturers/altium/blog/2015/07/24/importing-altium-circuit-studio-files-to-altium-designer-and-vice-versa

You shouldn't have any problems with CS to AD or the other way around (provided the AD file is saved as binary 5.0 format, which you've probably already been doing!).  Unless, maybe, they are very behind on their AD updates.

The biggest fear I have is that CS 'goes away' and they stop supporting import or export options for it.  But I guess that's the risk folks will have to consider.  For me, it's a moot point considering the price difference is ~$6k.

I'm in a similar boat RE: the PT consulting work.  I can also relate to your last comment.  ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf