Author Topic: Component library - same component, different manufacturers  (Read 2456 times)

Offline hansibullTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hi!
I'm using Altium Designer 17 at work, and I'm quite happy with it. I maintain a custom component library with all the parameters we need for production.
To keep the production cost down we want to replace some of the components (i.e a shielded RJ45 connector from Molex) with identical ones from other manufactures.

Let's use the RJ45 connector as an example. In my library the name for it is CON-RJ45-STRAIGHT, and contains fields like manufacturer, manufacturer part number, connector type, supplier etc.
Is it possible to create some kind of "sub component", where different manufactures can show up under the same component?

I'd rather have a list that looks like this:
CON-RJ45-STRAIGHT
- Molex
- Hirose
- WCON

Than this:
CON-RJ45-STRAIGHT-MOLEX
CON-RJ45-STRAIGHT-HIROSE
CON-RJ45-STRAIGHT-WCON

Thanks!  :)

Offline Pseudobyte

• Frequent Contributor
  • Embedded Systems Engineer / PCB Designer
Re: Component library - same component, different manufacturers
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 02:27:49 pm »
I can't speak for everyone. In my company we have 3 different mfg and mfg-pn parameters defaulted to our BOM template. So it is as simple as giving the component 3 sets of mfg and mfg-pn and then that information will be outputed on the BOM. (MFG, MFG-PN) (MFG2, MFG2-PN) (MFG3, MFG3-PN) You really should only do this if they are exactly the same.
“They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do”

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 02:33:20 pm »
You really should only do this if they are exactly the same.

This.

And set up good procedures; ie do NOT give permission to sourcing to add fields in your component database. Make sure alternatives only end up in your database with your explicit permission.

The following users thanked this post: ahbushnell

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 07:01:36 am »
I can't speak for everyone. In my company we have 3 different mfg and mfg-pn parameters defaulted to our BOM template. So it is as simple as giving the component 3 sets of mfg and mfg-pn and then that information will be outputed on the BOM. (MFG, MFG-PN) (MFG2, MFG2-PN) (MFG3, MFG3-PN) You really should only do this if they are exactly the same.

Thanks! In other words, it's not possible to have some sort of sub category for manufacturers. I think this might be the best option then :)
Of course I've made sure the alternative parts are identical when it comes to build materials, dimentions and footprint.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 11:21:26 am »
I added a new field for alternative manufacturer and part nr., but now the text in these fields appears as hyperlinks in Altium BOM viewer and the exported Excel document. Is there an option to disable this, or is it just a bug?

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 01:17:40 pm »
You can keep adding supplier links for equivalent parts.  You need to go to Tools/Preferences, Data Management, Suppliers, and tick Suffix for the relevant fields (supplier and mfg fields) so they will show as multiples.  Make sure the extra fields are enabled in the BOM output, and if you are using a template, that it has those fields as well.

As others have said, don't add multiple if they aren't equivalent.  If it's a footprint change, or mechanically or electrically different, put it in a new part.

(And by that, I mean, you can cut it however you like.  If you prefer having a complete library, then make a new SchLib Component for each type, and link each one with its respective footprint.  Obviously, you only need as many footprints as there are different part footprints.  Or you can go a more generic route, using, say, header symbols from the preinstalled libraries, modifying them on the schematic to add supplier link(s) and footprint.  Or if you're using a database, and have an inventory of equivalent parts, make sure that you have in-house part numbers for each distinct type, and they are referenced accordingly in the BOM.)

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf