Author Topic: [Solved] Creating a filled arc segment the easy way  (Read 2854 times)

Offline twistedresistorTopic starter

• Contributor
[Solved] Creating a filled arc segment the easy way
« on: May 29, 2017, 10:17:09 am »
Hi,

I've tried for a good while to crate a filled arc segment, but i couldn't find an easy solution.

I want to create a segment like shown in the screenshot. I know the radius and the height (X-direction in the screenshot).

Maybe there is a way with mitered routing, but I couldn't make it work that way (always at 90/45° and I can't change the radius of the miter). I've also tried to add new vertices to a triangle, but the segments are connected via straight lines.

Does anyone know of a simple solution to this task? Thank you in advance.

Regards.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 01:26:47 pm by twistedresistor »

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: Creating a filled arc segment the easy way
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 11:13:54 am »
Hold CTRL+SHIFT then drag on the line segment control point.  CTRL+SPACE to change the segment type.

Wait, is that in the right order?  Anyway, it's some combination of those.

You may want to cut the reference arc into a few pieces, so you have nearby snap points to set it to.

In this way, you can construct any filled shape with arcs.  You can also make a hole in the middle by making a "U" shape, and bringing the tips of the "U" together so they just touch.

This works for 3DComponentBody objects too, which means you can construct extruded shapes with arbitrary curves (they end up approximated by segments, unfortunately), then convert them to STEP and rotate into any orientation, to construct more complex 3D shapes.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

The following users thanked this post: twistedresistor

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 11:14:25 am »
draw the outline with arc and line tools.
Select the outline (and nothing else)
tools>convert>create polygon from selected primitives
You may or may not need to change the created polygon to solid fill from no fill, and repour it...

(the filled arc segment behind the menu is the one I made to check this would work before making the screenshot.)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 11:17:17 am by julianhigginson »

The following users thanked this post: twistedresistor

Offline twistedresistorTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 01:24:38 pm »
I have tried this before, but I wasn't able to change the segment type. The approximation technique I've tried successfully before.

Hold CTRL+SHIFT then drag on the line segment control point.  CTRL+SPACE to change the segment type.
You may want to cut the reference arc into a few pieces, so you have nearby snap points to set it to.

I was sure, there was something where you can get it "perfect", which is pretty much what julianhigginson wrote.

Fun thing: The resulting Region is defined by the two points on the arc and the angle. So with some trigonometry you could figure out the points beforehand.

Thank you guys very much for your help.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf