Author Topic: Curved monitor  (Read 5539 times)

Offline olkipukkiTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Curved monitor
« on: April 14, 2018, 09:05:50 am »
Is there anyone sitting in the front of a curved monitor?  How AD looks and feel,  comfortable to work with?

I am considering to replace my current monitor set to a single one 36"+ curved one...

Offline DerekG

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Curved monitor
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 01:06:51 pm »
Yes, I would be interested to hear from anyone using a curved monitor for their circuit board design.

What advantages do you find?

Any disadvantages?
I also sat between Elvis & Bigfoot on the UFO.

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 02:42:52 pm »
Curved TV's are silly (I wanna watch movies with friends, not just by myself).
But I think that curved monitors make a lot of sense, since the viewing angle is much more constant.
The downside could be that lines are curved as well.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 05:13:40 pm »
We spent decades trying to make monitors and TVs as flat as possible, now we curve them the other way as a fashion statement?  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: Doctorandus_P

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 04:23:34 am »
Well if you setup 2 or more monitors, you're often positioning them in a curve. So having a super wide monitor to replace 2 monitors makes sense as curved, I think...

I'd also be interested to see how someone finds it. I like 2 monitors for cross probe mode, but I guess you could do a split instead and it would work about the same?

The following users thanked this post: wraper

Offline Aztlanpz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 11:17:59 am »
I have a curved monitor and Altium looks great.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 01:39:40 pm »

How many monitors did you use with Altium before a curved one?
Is there any other [E/M]CAD in use?
Did it look a little weird initially (to adapt eyes etc)?

I tried to find more details from CAD communities, more or less people guessing and monitors vendors not much helpful, promote curved monitors for office and gaming only  :-//

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 01:44:02 pm »

What is model of your monitor?

My favourite EIZO brand  do not have any in place right now, no wonder - they always late to the party
I am keeping an eye on "HP Z38c 37.5-inch Curved Display"

Offline Aztlanpz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 01:57:53 pm »
I have a Samsung SE790C its 34 inches.

Offline maxpayne

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 10:40:50 am »
I use LG 34UC98 and its a 21:9 curved monitor.

I find it very useful designing with Altium. All you have to do is keep the monitor perfectly vertical (straight with your eyes). Else you will feel a bit unusual . :)

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 12:59:43 pm »
Mine's a flat widescreen (LG 34UM95).

I can get far enough back that the entire screen is within my total line of sight. Or get closer, and use it in sections (halves or thirds) for documents, email and whatnot (it's ~3.5 * 8.5"x11" sheets of paper side by side).

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2018, 01:49:10 pm »
If you want a curved monitor (or even a TV) - do make sure to try it out in similar lighting conditions as your office is going to have first!

Many have glossy screen because they are targeting gamers and thanks to the curvature it is essentially impossible to position such screen in a way where it will not pick up glare from somewhere, reflecting it straight into your eyes. It makes them pretty much unusable unless you work in a dark room.

That said, the curvature is mostly a gimmick - if you aren't playing videogames where it adds a little bit of immersion, you would be equally well served by a non-curved monitor (or even several) and for much less (and no glare problems!). Or use a 4k TV as a screen if the screen real estate is what you are after - colleague has a setup like that next door with a 55" Samsung TV and it works really well with a standing desk. And the prices are comparable today.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 01:52:26 pm by janoc »

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2018, 09:00:40 pm »
35" ultrawide: It's OK, you don't notice it if you sit in front of it. Great for games also.

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2018, 07:29:14 am »
colleague has a setup like that next door with a 55" Samsung TV and it works really well with a standing desk

:o :o :o ::) 8) :clap:

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2018, 03:52:38 pm »
colleague has a setup like that next door with a 55" Samsung TV and it works really well with a standing desk

:o :o :o ::) 8) :clap:

It helps when it is the company owner and the TV was bought for something else that didn't materialize, so it was either that or letting it collect dust  ;)

But seriously, considering that these TVs now cost about the same as an ultrawide and/or curved monitor and give you a lot more real estate (especially vertically), I would say that using one for doing layout could work a lot better than having an ultrawide screen instead - you can only stack so many windows side by side without having to turn the head constantly. The aspect ratio is just more practical.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 03:55:19 pm by janoc »

Offline rfbroadband

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2018, 07:25:32 pm »
I used to use two 27" monitors and I switched to one 38" curved LG monitor and I really like it. Not having two bezels in the center of your setup is really nice. I have no complains....

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2018, 07:32:33 pm »
Not having two bezels in the center of your setup is really nice.
Agreed.  :-+

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2018, 07:34:03 pm »
Three Z30i screens.
left screen schematic, mid screen pcb, right screen digikey
driven from a Quadro K5100
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 07:36:19 pm by free_electron »
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2018, 07:43:35 pm »
Three Z30i screens.
I tried such setup with 3x 30" monitors but it felt bit too much. Anywhere I turned my head, there was a monitor, it even felt like I'm in the middle of solar cooker. Not to say, almost no desk space left for equipment. So I downgraded to 2x 30" monitors  ;D.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2018, 07:58:45 pm »
Three Z30i screens.
I tried such setup with 3x 30" monitors but it felt bit too much. Anywhere I turned my head, there was a monitor, it even felt like I'm in the middle of solar cooker. Not to say, almost no desk space left for equipment. So I downgraded to 2x 30" monitors  ;D.
If you've the open space and spot to install one, a dual monitor arm might help you regain some desk space (seen some that will accommodate 2x 30" monitors).

It really helps IME.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2018, 08:07:55 pm »
If you've the open space and spot to install one, a dual monitor arm might help you regain some desk space (seen some that will accommodate 2x 30" monitors).

It really helps IME.
It must be some sturdy arm as those monitors IIRC weight around 13kg (x3 = 39 kg  :o) (those were with dell U3011 with CCFL backlight). I now have 2x LED backlit U3014 which are lighter, but still.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2018, 10:56:31 pm »

It really helps IME.
It must be some sturdy arm as those monitors IIRC weight around 13kg (x3 = 39 kg  :o) (those were with dell U3011 with CCFL backlight). I now have 2x LED backlit U3014 which are lighter, but still.
They're out there.

A couple of examples:
FWIW, I use a Human Scale M8 Dual Monitor Arm, bolt thru version (rated for 40lb/18.2kg). I initially planned on using dual monitors with it, then found the 34" ultrawide at the right price (LG 34UM95), and pounced. Didn't pay anywhere near MSRP either (~$200 IIRC).

Offline Gibson486

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2018, 12:56:40 pm »
If you want a curved monitor (or even a TV) - do make sure to try it out in similar lighting conditions as your office is going to have first!

Many have glossy screen because they are targeting gamers and thanks to the curvature it is essentially impossible to position such screen in a way where it will not pick up glare from somewhere, reflecting it straight into your eyes. It makes them pretty much unusable unless you work in a dark room.

That said, the curvature is mostly a gimmick - if you aren't playing videogames where it adds a little bit of immersion, you would be equally well served by a non-curved monitor (or even several) and for much less (and no glare problems!). Or use a 4k TV as a screen if the screen real estate is what you are after - colleague has a setup like that next door with a 55" Samsung TV and it works really well with a standing desk. And the prices are comparable today.

LOL....I had a presentation once in our area (which is essentially our kitchen). I chrome casted to the big 70 inch TV for my presentation. After, i forgot to shutdown the cast, and went to my desk and started doing CAD. At the end of the day, everyone was commenting how my show was amazing on the TV. I was confused until my boss filled me in on what was going on. I picked a good day to not slack off ;)

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2018, 02:46:00 pm »
I have three 24" monitors, and it's already too wide, I can't imagine three 30" monitors being comfortable.  I've actually been thinking of moving to a pair of 30" or so monitors as a good compromise, or maybe going to a top and bottom setup.

Offline Deridex

• Regular Contributor
  • IMHO
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2018, 05:10:44 pm »
i have 2 24" Monitors and i think thats more than enough. 3x 30"? ... i don't think my desk is big enough to place em in a way that it would feel comfortable to look at em ...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf