Author Topic: Default project parameters  (Read 4398 times)

Offline electricarTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Default project parameters
« on: November 09, 2017, 07:49:35 am »
Hey folks,

is there a way to make a project template in AD with predefined project parameters (defined "names" but empty "values")?
Perhaps it is also possible to set them as default in a setting I couldn't find?

Thank you in advance :)

Kind regards
electricar

Offline Fire Doger

• Regular Contributor
  • Stefanos
Re: Default project parameters
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 03:08:53 am »
Hello,
Yes it is possible to create a template will all these values. Not sure if you can use empty but it can be something like "NaN".

To set them as default you have to set a default empty "PCB Project" with all your project options. It will load automatically the values from template on any "new PCB Project".

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 09:52:38 am »
Hi Fire Doger,

thank you for your answer. When I enter my templates in the New Document Defaults, how do I create a new project with the new templates?
If I choose "File - New - Project", I get the following, but without my new project template.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 02:30:59 pm by electricar »

Offline twistedresistor

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 10:57:30 am »
You have create a project and add the your files (e.g. Schematic, Pcb...) to that project as you would normally.
Then you put the project (including the files) in the template folder, where your Altium looks for it as stated in "Location" in the dialog you showed.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 12:55:36 pm »
Ok got that, thank you.

Our team has a network folder with the schematic and output job templates.
Now I want to create a project template, which automatically adds the schematic and output job templates from this network folder.

The solution you proposed only refers to the templates copied to the local Altium template folder, right?

Is it possible to create a project template which is using the templates on the network folder?
This would be nice, because the changes in the templates would be synchronized across all team members.

Offline twistedresistor

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 02:16:43 pm »
The solution you proposed only refers to the templates copied to the local Altium template folder, right?
Yes.

To get the template from a network share you can set the default location of the template folder in your
DXP Preferences -> Data Management -> Templates.
For the schematic templates you can set the template folder in the project options:
Project Options -> Tab "Options" -> Schematic Template Location.
You can now apply your template via Design -> Templates -> Project Templates.

Only downside of this method is if you add a new Schematic Sheet to your project it still uses the one set under
DXP Preferences -> System -> New Document Defaults
This option is global (i. e. not tied to the Project Template).

I think the best option for you is to set your templates as "New Document Defaults" and create a project template with a Schematic Sheet and PCB already added on your Network share.

Also be aware if you try to add the schematic template to your project via "add existing to project" it will link the actual file (showing the little arrow in the project tree) and if you edit it you will edit (and mess up) your template. You have to copy the schematic into your project folder.

Offline Fire Doger

• Regular Contributor
  • Stefanos
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 02:28:39 am »
Is it possible to create a project template which is using the templates on the network folder?
This would be nice, because the changes in the templates would be synchronized across all team members.
If you mean "add new file" will use a dedicated file which will be different for every template no.
Although you can struct your templates to have that feature a bit manually.

"Template" in altium is pure copying of a file or a project. Any settings must be included in this file-project.

By adding a file (lets say a .sch) in a project template named "Template.sch" designer can change AD default preferences to link on that file which will be unmodified during design and every time he adds a new .sch he will make a copy of the template which will be located on the same project folder.

He (designer) must change his preferences each time he works on a different project but it will be much easier to locate correct file template (because it will be inside the project he works on) for each project template and will be a simple point in TODO list before creating a new project or modifying an old one.

Also in this way you will have "Template.sch" on old projects for reference or mods.

In a same way you can include .preferences files which are the global AD settings.

------
If you want to have 10 .sch in a project which will be based on a template, just add a 10 .sch in the project template and use a .sch template while you creating the project template.

There are no links or live update, just pure copy and paste.

If any part sounds weird tell to use examples. :)

Offline Fire Doger

• Regular Contributor
  • Stefanos
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 06:20:43 pm »
*Note

I forgot that for .sch only you can assign specific templates for each project in project options.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 12:23:35 pm »
Thank you for your help! :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf