Author Topic: Do you plan to switch to Nexus?  (Read 3774 times)

Offline ali_asadzadehTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Do you plan to switch to Nexus?
« on: January 18, 2019, 05:11:36 pm »
Hi,
I wanted to know your opinion, do you continue to use Altium Designer or are you considering Altium Nexus?
ASiDesigner, Stands for Application specific intelligent devices
I'm a Digital Expert from 8-bits to 64-bits

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
Re: Do you plan to switch to Nexus?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 05:55:23 pm »
Altium, Nexus is only useful if you run your own Vault sever I believe, I have both installed, uses the same license.

Offline pigrew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 01:52:38 am »
I used it for a little while in my company, and the difference was that many features could be centrally controlled by the vault server. It would be good where many people need to work together with a uniform process. I do work on internally-used test fixtures that don't go through our normal production flow, so its administrative controls were a bit annoying...

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 03:05:03 am »
There is NO difference between Altium Designer and Nexus, EXCEPT : vault

To run Nexus you need a vault installation. It won't even start unless it can connect to a vault.
To use a vault you need to run Nexus. Altium Designer (19 onwards)  can't connect to a vault.

Basically Nexus = Altium Designer + vault.

When it comes to schematic/pcb and all other things they are identical.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 01:02:39 pm »
There is NO difference between Altium Designer and Nexus, EXCEPT : vault

To run Nexus you need a vault installation. It won't even start unless it can connect to a vault.
To use a vault you need to run Nexus. Altium Designer (19 onwards)  can't connect to a vault.

Basically Nexus = Altium Designer + vault.

When it comes to schematic/pcb and all other things they are identical.
Thanks, I did not get the use of vault fully, is it something like a version control like git?

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 04:51:59 pm »
The vault is much more than just 'version control'.
- centralized storage for symbols,footprints,projects and all other data.( all version controlled of course)
- centralized library created from symbols,footprints and textual data. (again all version controlled)
- interactive supply chain datapull from Ciiva / octopart
- interconnection with company database to pull real time information ( for example corporate pricing , preferred parts etc , stock info)
- centralized control over documents and settings. you can force the altium configuration form the vault so all users use the correct templates, scripts ,output settings etc.
- centralized deploy of the software. you can control what version users run
- view of what is used where in what project. if you need to edit a footprint because of an issue in fabrication or solderability you immediately know what projects are using it. if a part becomes obsolete or has long lead times you immediately know what projects are affected. part swaps become simple.

The vault is a VERY powerful system as it ties in all the other information that you normally need to muck around with manually.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 07:24:04 pm »
- centralized storage for symbols,footprints,projects and all other data.( all version controlled of course)
- centralized library created from symbols,footprints and textual data. (again all version controlled)
- interconnection with company database to pull real time information ( for example corporate pricing , preferred parts etc , stock info)
- centralized control over documents and settings. you can force the altium configuration form the vault so all users use the correct templates, scripts ,output settings etc.
- view of what is used where in what project. if you need to edit a footprint because of an issue in fabrication or solderability you immediately know what projects are using it. if a part becomes obsolete or has long lead times you immediately know what projects are affected. part swaps become simple.

The vault is a VERY powerful system as it ties in all the other information that you normally need to muck around with manually.

Thanks free_electron :-+ :-+ :-+

Do we have a good tutorial for using it?

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 05:17:35 am »

Thanks free_electron :-+ :-+ :-+

Do we have a good tutorial for using it?

It all depends on what you want to do with it.
It is not that hard to set up. Get a Server , deploy the package and it's ready to rock.
The database ties take some learning and you need to plan your library migration and setup.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf