Author Topic: Drawing Guard rings in Schematic  (Read 3461 times)

Offline nnsTopic starter

Drawing Guard rings in Schematic
« on: December 07, 2016, 02:58:39 pm »
Does anyone have a "nice" way of drawing guard rings in Altium schematic capture?  I like my schematics to clearly convey what's going on, so drawing a guard ring like:
Is attractive to me. 

I can use line segments (and set them to dashed), or I can use a blanket directive (basically a dashed polygon). The blanket directive has the added benefit of being able to put the guarded nets into a class (helpful during PCB layout), but has the drawback that the dashed line looks a little crappier than the line segments. With both of them, I can't clearly show the guard net "attached" to the blanket directive (the wire just ends touching the directive/line, instead of with a node marker like in the drawing above).

For now, it works.  I'm just wondering what other people do and if there is a better/more standard way to show this in Altium.

Offline Miles Teg

• Regular Contributor
  • YAWP!!!
Re: Drawing Guard rings in Schematic
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 04:57:14 pm »
Hello,

I should have bring another net and using the netcolor on it.

If you see me running, that's already too late.

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 06:00:05 pm »
You can change the visual style of the blanket to suit, and you can place a manual junction to show that the blanket outline is 'connected' to the guard net.  Does that get you what you want?

Offline nnsTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 12:47:53 pm »
You can change the visual style of the blanket to suit, and you can place a manual junction to show that the blanket outline is 'connected' to the guard net.  Does that get you what you want?

Somehow I managed to totally miss the manual junction object for 3 years. Wow. Thanks for pointing out my (obvious) oversight!  |O

I think that solution will result in the best look of the final schematic.  Thanks!

I should have bring another net and using the netcolor on it.

That's a good idea, however for my needs, I think I prefer a dashed line solution. I believe it's more obvious when printed black and white.

Offline Miles Teg

• Regular Contributor
  • YAWP!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 04:56:54 pm »
That's a good idea, however for my needs, I think I prefer a dashed line solution. I believe it's more obvious when printed black and white.

I understand, but still believe getting the right color to have a easily indentified different grey from the black nets in grey scale printed schematic could be usable.

Hope you will find also the optimal solution with dashed lines.
If you see me running, that's already too late.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf