Author Topic: Export PCB properties  (Read 1540 times)

Offline hansibullTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Export PCB properties
« on: October 18, 2017, 02:00:09 pm »
Hi!
I'm designing a board that's soon to be manufactured. In the past i've used to send the Gerber and assembly files together, and then specify PCB color, board thickness and surface finish in a hand written document.
Is there any way I can make Altium:
A) Add PCB color and surface finish to the layer stack manager (using an Output job file)
B) Export a dedicated file where PCB color, thickness, surface finish, physical size and the rest of "important" properties are located?

Thanks!

Online ajb

• Super Contributor
Re: Export PCB properties
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 06:59:50 pm »
You could change the name of the mask/overlay layers to include the color, that should show up in a layer stack report.

More generally, you'd probably do what you've done in the past: include either a document describing fabrication/assembly requirements or a drawing with those sorts of requirements listed as notes.  If you wanted to keep everything within your Altium project, you could create your requirements document as an extra schematic sheet, and have that exported as part of your fabrication/assembly package outjob.

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 09:17:27 pm »
I put that information on the Drill Drawing layer.  The "enterprise" way is to use a sheet enumerating all the options: laminate Tg, Td; overall thickness, number of layers, layer thicknesses, soldermask and silkscreen type and color; and fab instructions: tolerances, IPC references, assembly notes, etc.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 10:26:53 pm »
Not a fan of fab info in a design file... I can see how it helps save work and ties the information together, but, well, it's just not right...

I just have a fab document that I make for a PCB design when it goes out... Gets zipped up with the Gerbers. A bit of a hassle to do, but I basically have a template that I go through and fill out and define the basic info for. Once it's made for a given design it rarely need to change much even if the board had revisions (just need to update release file versions, normally...)

I was hoping draftsman would make generating this file easier, but I haven't had the chance to push that as hard as I should yet to work out 100% if it's possible or not, and so am still doing it manually....
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 10:13:39 am by julianhigginson »

Offline hansibullTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 10:19:15 am »
Thanks! I ended up exporting the layer stack while providing the rest of the PCB properties in a separate file

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf