Author Topic: How do I use libraries simultaneously  (Read 3030 times)

Offline joaosehnTopic starter

How do I use libraries simultaneously
« on: October 20, 2014, 11:54:43 am »
Hello guys,

First, I apologize for my bad english.

I am working in a small organization which me and other engineer will have to work with Altium at the same time, using the same libraries.
What do you suggest for us to proceed? Could I just create a folder on our internal server and put the libraries inside of it? What problems are we going to find?

Thank you in advance!
João

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
Re: How do I use libraries simultaneously
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 12:07:00 pm »
File on server open at same time.

Better : lib1 and lib2 both on server. You only write to lib1 , collegue only writes to lib2. You can both read.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 12:12:53 pm »
Yeah, use independent libraries.  If necessary, merge when you're done (but mind possible duplicates in the process -- library management is a pain any way you cut it).

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline joaosehnTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 12:56:27 pm »
Thank you for the answers!

I've been looking for solutions of this problem before and I've found that database libraries might be a good ideia. Do you thing it's worth it? Seems to be not so easy.

Thank you, again.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 03:59:05 am »
I am working in a small organization which me and other engineer will have to work with Altium at the same time, using the same libraries.
What do you suggest for us to proceed? Could I just create a folder on our internal server and put the libraries inside of it? What problems are we going to find?

Two ways of doing this (without resorting to vaults). In both cases, someone has to be the "librarian" and maintain the libraries.

a) The librarian adds things to the libraries. After the library is compiled into an Integrated Library, the librarian puts the IntLib files out on a shared resource somewhere to which everyone who needs to use the library has access. Then everyone goes out and copies those files to their local disks. Each user points their Altium installation to their own local copy of the library.

b) The libraries are stored in a source-code control database, accessed using Subversion or whatever. The librarian builds the library and commits the change to the repo. Each user then checks out (or updates) their local working copy of the libraries, and then the users must point Altium to the local copy of the library.

In either case, it is incumbent on the users to regularly update their local copies of the libraries. The updates can be done each morning, or perhaps the librarian can tell everyone when new parts get added, and then the users can do the update.

The following users thanked this post: YaSaRa_N

Offline Randy_Clemmons

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 01:15:46 am »
For the most efficient Altium CAD DBLIB or SVNDBLIB Library Tool available today take a look at:

http://pcbparts.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

3 minute You Tube Video

Money Back Guaranteed Satisfaction.

Best regards
Randy Clemmons

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf