Author Topic: How to disable thermals in localized GND pours?  (Read 6086 times)

Offline sensoTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • My AVR tutorials
How to disable thermals in localized GND pours?
« on: February 13, 2015, 02:56:17 pm »
Good evening, so here I am playing around with Altium and I'm sort of starting to understand a little bit more of the Query system, and I can in fact have pours with and without thermals, different sizes and what not, but only if the pour is connect to some net that is NOT ground, here is what I want to do:

I have already tried using InNamedPolygon, InPolygon and some other random things but the GND vias always have the thermals enabled, yes I have tried changing the Priorities, and putting the rule in either the Polygon Connect Style and in the Power Plane Connect Style, is there something I'm missing/failling to understand(it must be me, of course).

Care to enlighten me?

Best regards.

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
Re: How to disable thermals in localized GND pours?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 07:57:00 pm »
You can get all vias to direct connect by using IsVia, would that work for you?  Simpler than having to name polygons.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 08:20:38 pm »
write a rule

if isvia and innamedpolygon 'blabla'  -> directconnect
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

• Frequent Contributor
    • My AVR tutorials
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 08:21:40 pm »
The isVia works, but it would remove thermals in all the vias, maybe not a bad thing and in this situation can work, but I would like to know how to do it using named polygons, its a more powerful/flexible option in my view.

I will try that Free_electron.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 08:41:32 pm »
oopsie i made a mistake  you need IsNamedPolygon , not InNamedPolygon.

we are not testing if we belong to the polygon (In...),  we are testing if we connect to (Is)

so :

Make a polygon style Rule :

Where the first object matches - Advanced  - isvia
Where the second object matched , advanced - Isnamedpolygon('blabla')
Connect style - direct connect

don't forget to increase its priority to sit above other rules ( bottom left of window : increase prorities and shove this rule to the the top.

i just tried it . works flawless.

if you have more than one polygon you can alter the 'where the second object matches to

Isnamedpolgon('firsrone') or Isnamedpolgon('secondone')

and so on
or you could make a polygon class and simply test against the class.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 09:20:31 pm »
Speaking of understanding the query system, as you start to do more advanced queries, you should be aware that operator precedence may not be as you'd expect, and as far as I know is undocumented.  So to be on the safe side, use brackets wherever there may be any ambiguity to ensure that the query is evaluated the way you intend--that can save you a lot of frustration!

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 10:02:37 pm »
i always use brackets. even in maths. for two reasons :

1) i can never remember what goes first
2) i can't be bothered to try to learn what goes first

has kept me out of trouble all my life.

• Frequent Contributor
    • My AVR tutorials
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 10:42:47 pm »
Just tried it, works perfectly, I was also doing it for other nets/polygons and I was doing it a little different, I had All in the second part of the query, it worked, but now I understand the beast a tiny bit better.

Thanks for the help Free_electron and AJB.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 11:49:46 pm »
Just tried it, works perfectly, I was also doing it for other nets/polygons and I was doing it a little different, I had All in the second part of the query, it worked, but now I understand the beast a tiny bit better.

i f you really want to unleash the full power of Altium : dig into filter expressions and manipulating the SCH list and PCB list viewers. Then hop into writing scripts. you can make this monster do amazing tricks.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 04:38:24 am »

i f you really want to unleash the full power of Altium : dig into filter expressions and manipulating the SCH list and PCB list viewers. Then hop into writing scripts. you can make this monster do amazing tricks.

I was comparing a new schematic (captured by hand from a customer PDF) to the bill of materials, earlier today.  This involves a combination of filtering, sorting in the List, selecting the components you're checking, and comparing that listing to the spreadsheet -- say by copy+pasting the column into the spreadsheet and comparing the list, element by element, to see that they match up.  Which checks that you know you have the right designators, and the right number of them.  Then, since the listings line up, you can add the attributes wholesale to the components in the schematic with a single paste operation.  A pain to set up, but very powerful.

Also, once you have that part list, filtering it again is easy: make a column beside the designators that formats it as "(Name = '<refdes>') OR", repeat for all <refdes>, copy the column and paste it in the filter box.  After a few seconds of thinking, Altium determines your selection / mask. :)

Afraid I don't have much to contribute to the thread, as it's already been answered... :)  I will add my preference though: I merely assign all via-in-poly as direct.  As far as I know, the only downside to this approach is making them difficult to solder, if you should ever need to add a jumper/bodge wire to one.  However, I also put accessible test points (which do form thermals) on all nets (near 100% nodal coverage), so I doubt that it's a big deal.

I also like to tent vias-in-poly, since it looks sexier.  However, it is helpful to keep a few open, rather than tenting all of them, in case you need additional "accidental test points" shall we say.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline 74HC04

• Contributor
  • Lifetime Electronics Nerd and full-time EE.
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 10:31:22 am »
oopsie i made a mistake  you need IsNamedPolygon , not InNamedPolygon.

we are not testing if we belong to the polygon (In...),  we are testing if we connect to (Is)

Thank you very much for posting this, free_electron. You just saved me from pulling my hair out!  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf