Author Topic: Altium, Problem panelising Rigid-Flex PCB  (Read 3310 times)

Offline PsiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Altium, Problem panelising Rigid-Flex PCB
« on: July 12, 2017, 07:14:29 am »
So i'm working on a rigid flex design in Altium and trying to panelise it.
The issue i'm having is that the panel does not show the flex areas like the single PCB does.
I'm using the normal "Embedded board array / panelise" option.
And the layer stack from the single board has been imported into the panel file.

Any ideas?

(Oh, and before we get someone posting "OMG stop what you're doing! The flex material must be aligned correctly for the direction it was rolled in"
This doesn't matter in my case. This is a static flex design (only flexed once during production then fixed in place)
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Altium, Problem panelising Rigid-Flex PCB
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 11:29:57 pm »
I take it this is so you can line up the flex areas? or are you worried the embedded board array has lost design information?

If it's for lining up purposes, try putting down markers on whatever unused mech layer you want...

Offline Pseudobyte

• Frequent Contributor
  • Embedded Systems Engineer / PCB Designer
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 02:22:03 pm »
I personally hate the embedded board array feature. It isn't quite what I want it to be yet. It would be amazing if Altium had another "Mode" such as 3D and Board Layout to do panelization. The workflow just feels wrong when you have to create a new document to generate panelized data, not to mention the fact that I could never decide where to put the fabrication drawing. Do you put it on the single up board, or the panelized board array. This is why I will continue to have mechanical layers for format/routing and panelization. Currently it is just easier for me to set the grid to the panel step and copy the board outline a few times. Draw your panel/scoring/routing, and you're done!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 02:23:51 pm by Pseudobyte »
“They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do”

Offline PsiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 09:19:08 pm »
I think this is a limitation of Altium.

I dont think an altium panel can ever show your flex areas due to how Altium handles flex split lines, which have to be from one edge of the PCB to another.
On a panel this edge is the panel itself, the routed sections of your PCB are not considered board edges. So they cannot have a split line on them.

I don't think it really matters though you still get the flex gerber layers generated so the fab of the flex panel should still be ok even though it doesnt show up in Altium except in your source PCB.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf