Author Topic: Interactive routing on an angled grid  (Read 5253 times)

Offline PsiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Interactive routing on an angled grid
« on: August 01, 2016, 11:03:00 pm »
Hi,

Does anyone know if you can make Altium do interactive routing correctly on an angled grid?

Lets say you have a grid setup at 30deg angle. When interactively routing components on that grid the traces should be at either 30deg, 30+45deg or 30+90deg
(but they are staying at the normal 0/45deg mode)

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 11:05:15 pm by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: Interactive routing on an angled grid
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 12:14:26 am »
Hmm, doesn't look like it.

I don't see any reference for routing angle or grid.  It's snapping to the grid, so there's that, but the angles are absolute.

Would be a pain to route it right-ways-up, then rotate everything by 30 (who even needs an angled grid?)...  :-\

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline PsiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 05:06:06 am »
Exactly, its counter intuitive for no good reason.

Also it would be nice if parts auto rotated to match the grid as you dragged them over new grids.

eg, you might have a normal vertical area on your PCB and another area which will 'be' vertical in the end product (due to rigid flex pcb folding up) but is at 30deg when flat. So you've created a 30deg grid section for that area.
Be nice if, when dragging parts between each section, it auto rotated them to match.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 07:11:29 am »
Even just moving it is fine, because I don't expect my parts to do goofy things as I move them, even if it's between grid domains; but at least snapping the angle when I hit space, that would be nice.

I suppose the lesson is, nobody uses it enough to warrant those features.  I've never used custom grids, personally.

There's also the slippery slope that, since the polar grid is a thing which exists, you'd have to provide routing with straight (radial) and arc segments.  (Presumably, limited to 90 degree corner mode, as there's no Gerber primitive for a 45 degree diagonal polar segment -- a spiral.)  So, there would be an awful lot of work to bring this rarely-used feature up to a level of consistency that would make sense.

And the autorouter has to be aware of it, and...

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 12:37:49 am »
Hi,

Does anyone know if you can make Altium do interactive routing correctly on an angled grid?

Lets say you have a grid setup at 30deg angle. When interactively routing components on that grid the traces should be at either 30deg, 30+45deg or 30+90deg

Any ideas?
The easiest solution has been to select everything on all layers and then rotate around a suitable origin, do the skewed routing, and then rotate everything back. Ugly but it gets it done.

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 01:07:31 am »
The key is the center of the cross cursor

If you want to do only 90 degree track, must ignore the angles, and make the main track until your desired size, at that point make a mouse click, run 90 degree to the side you want, another click.

Resuming ignore the angles, and click anytime you want to make a 90 degre

Offline PsiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 01:33:30 am »
Hi,

Any ideas?
The easiest solution has been to select everything on all layers and then rotate around a suitable origin, do the skewed routing, and then rotate everything back. Ugly but it gets it done.

Unfortunately that doesn't work for rigid flex designs in Altium. The select all-rotate and edit/rotate will not rotate the flex boundary areas.

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 02:00:32 am »
Try

Select any track

Right click mouse

chose Design,

then rules

The routing corners

You can chose 45 degree 90 degree and curve

Share me