Author Topic: [SOLVED] Missing lables when exporing schematic to PDF  (Read 13845 times)

Online hansibullTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
[SOLVED] Missing lables when exporing schematic to PDF
« on: June 20, 2018, 11:12:24 am »
Hi!
I was working on a board when I wanted to export the schematic as PDF. However there's a lot of lables that's missing!
I used an output job to export the schematic, but I'm able to reproduce the issue when using "Smart PDF" exporter.

Does anybody know how to fix this? I'm using the latest version of AD17

« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 10:16:30 am by hansibull »

• Regular Contributor
Re: Missing lables when exporing schematic to PDF
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 12:08:13 pm »
It seems like the same is happening when exporing to PDF using Microsofts Print to PDF. I've tested with multiple projects, restarted Altium and tried restarting my computer.

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 12:17:28 pm »
Maybe try using free CutePDF writer instead? It works well for me with Diptrace.
Best Regards, Chris

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 12:22:50 pm »
Maybe try using free CutePDF writer instead? It works well for me with Diptrace.

I 've been using this feature with AD17 for about two years now. Never seen this issue before. I was hoping for a fix rather than a workaround that adds an extra step to my work flow. But thanks for the suggestion!

The following users thanked this post: Gyro

Offline Gary350z

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 01:57:16 pm »

Hi Gyro,
I was looking at CutePDF writer for use with Diptrace, but all the reviews I read say it used to be good in the past, but the installer now comes with malware.
What is your experience with it?
How long ago did you download it?

Do you know of any other Virtual PDF Printers for use with Diptrace?
Thanks

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 02:11:24 pm »
Hi Gary,
I downloaded the latest version the other day without seeing any malware problems - none that Malwarebytes or AVG could detect anyway. It's the free basic version of a commercial product, so I don't see any worries about where they get their revenue from.

The other one I've tried is pdf24 creator, again the free version. It's certainly feature rich and comes with all sorts of bells and whistles but it just seemed a bit OTT and dialogue heavy when all I wanted to do was print to a PDF virtual printer. [Edit: it even claimed to print Diptrace .dip files natively, but it redirected to their web converter and failed].

@hansibull:
Yes sure - it's always nice to get the provided feature working properly.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 02:18:37 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Gary350z

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 02:22:18 pm »
Hi Gary,
I downloaded the latest version the other day without seeing any malware problems - none that Malwarebytes or AVG could detect anyway. It's the free basic version of a commercial product, so I don't see any worries about where they get their revenue from.

That is strange. Multiple sources at Diptrace say to use CutePDF and that it works good, but many internet sources say the installer is now loaded with malware. I guess I can download it and malware scan the heck out of it.

Am I correct in that CutePDF has to be installed in Windows to work with Diptrace?
In your experience, does it work good with Diptrace?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 02:27:39 pm »
(please don't hijack)

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 04:41:31 pm »
Have you viewed the PDF with other viewers (e.g., Adobe Reader, web browser, Foxit Reader, etc.)?

Printing to PDF is a non-starter for me as I love all the sweet sweet data a Smart PDF contains.  I wouldn't consider a workaround suitable, personally.  YMMV.

Can you reproduce the problem through other means:
- The OutJob item has all labels enabled, right?  (Disabling half the pin names isn't an option anyway, but just to be sure...)
- Does a different project & files still produce correct output?  (This is a new thing, right?  Is it unique to the project/files in question?)
- Does File/Smart PDF produce the same result as the OutJob? (Yes.)
- Does a different OutJob produce the same result (when used with the same project and files)?
- Make a copy of another, working project/schematic, clear it of objects (CTRL+A, DEL), then copy and paste the objects from the affected file(s).  Does this print correctly?

The usual help-line advice is to go to Programs and Features, Uninstall Altium, select "restore to initial settings" (deletes user settings, cache, etc.).  Be sure to save your user settings in a separate .TLT (workspace layout) and .DXPPrf (Tools/Preferences, Save) file!  If a clean environment still does it, at least you know it's not your install/settings/cache.

If it fails all these steps, do report the bug to tech support.  (You... do have a subscription, right? ;D )

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 05:36:27 pm »
I tried with different PDF readers, but the labels are still missing.

The OutJob item has all labels enabled, right?  (Disabling half the pin names isn't an option anyway, but just to be sure...)
The output job has all labels enabled, yes.

Does a different project & files still produce correct output?  (This is a new thing, right?  Is it unique to the project/files in question?)
I can reproduce the issue in all my projects, and even "free" schematic documents

Does File/Smart PDF produce the same result as the OutJob? (Yes.)
Yes, Smart PDF produce the exact same pinout. Microsoft's print/save to PDF is also missing the labels.

Does a different OutJob produce the same result (when used with the same project and files)?
Yes, I've tried executing other OutJob files related to other projects (that worked perfectly in the past), but they're also missing the labels now.

Make a copy of another, working project/schematic, clear it of objects (CTRL+A, DEL), then copy and paste the objects from the affected file(s).  Does this print correctly?
I don't have the computer with AD17 installed here at the moment, but I'll try this as soon as I can.

The usual help-line advice is to go to Programs and Features, Uninstall Altium, select "restore to initial settings" (deletes user settings, cache, etc.).  Be sure to save your user settings in a separate .TLT (workspace layout) and .DXPPrf (Tools/Preferences, Save) file!  If a clean environment still does it, at least you know it's not your install/settings/cache.
Thanks, I didn't know about this. I guess this is my best option, or else I might have to re-install I believe.

If it fails all these steps, do report the bug to tech support.  (You... do have a subscription, right? ;D )
I've dealt with AD's tech support once, and their super slow compared to this forum. IIRC they also closed the case without finding a good solution to the problem. I (company I work for) actually have a subscription :D

I tried installing AD18, and the problem is gone. However it will certainly take a while to get used to AD18's new UI (and their stupid side bar menus instead of proper popup windows), so I'd much rather use AD17 a little longer if possible.

Online voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 07:05:03 pm »
Well, the only consolation is that it could be worse  ;D
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/altium/altium-prints-garbage/

Random something to try:
DXP->Preferences->Schematic->General->Render Text with GDI+ and uncheck Render Text with GDI+

The following users thanked this post: m12lrpv, andersoj68, angust_uk, samy03, FranciscogGomez

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 07:15:21 am »
Random something to try:
DXP->Preferences->Schematic->General->Render Text with GDI+ and uncheck Render Text with GDI+

WOW, that really did the trick! Thanks alot!  ;D
What does GDI+ do?

The following users thanked this post: samy03

Online voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 08:52:28 am »
What does GDI+ do?

I have absolutely no idea but I'm glad that helped!

Offline mengfei

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 09:21:52 am »
GDI = Graphical Display Interface

• Regular Contributor
Re: [SOLVED] Missing lables when exporing schematic to PDF
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 10:17:52 am »
What does GDI+ do?

I have absolutely no idea but I'm glad that helped!

Cool! So just a wild guess then? Again, thank you very much, you really saved me there  :)

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2018, 01:58:58 pm »
It's a Windows thing.  Maybe quirky version differences / drivers needing updates / who knows?

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline andersoj68

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2018, 01:49:23 am »
I just had this issue where only my power nets didn't display, and the suggestion above fixed it as well.

This was also under Altium 17, affected all my designs, and showed up out of nowhere and with no known configuration changes.  Obviously something changed, but definitely nothing deliberate.

Online voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2018, 10:23:40 am »
I'm wondering if a Win10 update is the common cause here. Are you using Win10?

Offline atipnano

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2023, 09:58:45 am »
Yip, Windows 10 brought up that issue with sch to pdf... have to use a separate PC with win 7 to get the sch to pdf to work.
With the fix suggested above to untick the GDI+ option it works. SUUUUUUUPER HAPPY,
Thanx voltsandjolts

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf