Author Topic: Mounting Holes  (Read 17316 times)

Offline nsh1233Topic starter

• Contributor
Mounting Holes
« on: July 15, 2014, 05:27:55 am »
So my board requires 2 mounting holes(Refer to picture).
How do i create the mounting holes in Altium Designer? Do i need to create a footprint for it?

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
Re: Mounting Holes
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 05:36:07 am »
just place two free pads.

if you want to make it nice : create a symbol for it.  i use a hole surrounded with 6 via's on a 60 degree grid to prevent stripping the plating from the screw hole . in the schematic i tie the construction to ground or shield ground depending on what they are used for.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Online David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 05:37:27 am »
I created footprints for various hole sizes including an overlay circle to show where the bolt head (or nut driver) will extend out to.

Set them to be a mechanical instead of standard types in its properties when you add them to the PCB.

Offline nsh1233Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 05:47:36 am »
So i just create a pad like this?

Set them to be a mechanical instead of standard types in its properties when you add them to the PCB.

Thank you for your reply. What does it do when i change it to mechanical?

Online David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 06:05:10 am »
If you don't change the type to mechanical, whenever you update the PCB from schematic the ECO will try to remove the hole component as it's not in the schematic.

Offline DerekG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 06:34:15 am »
So my board requires 2 mounting holes (Refer to picture).

Note that the mounting holes are plated through. If you are doing a reasonable volume, try to ensure that your mounting holes are also plated through, just like all your other holes.

This saves money as all holes can be done at the one time.

If you have any unplated holes, the panel must be placed back on the NC drills after the etching process is completed.

This is double handling for which you will likely pay for.
I also sat between Elvis & Bigfoot on the UFO.

Offline Precipice

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 08:03:07 am »
If you're lucky (and your board house supports it), you might be able to sneak your fiducial into the footprint too - right at the corner of the board, and not taking up precious space. Check to be sure that there's enough free space around the fiducial - my PnP and solderpaste machines are happy with this, but others may need more clearance. Worth a try, though, especially on a tightly packed board.

Edit: The fiducial isn't part of the hole footprint, it's a standalone part, to make sure it appears correctly on the pick & place data with a location.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 08:06:03 am by Precipice »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf