Author Topic: Move Component Under Other  (Read 4381 times)

Offline dlmmartinsTopic starter

Move Component Under Other
« on: November 30, 2016, 07:55:49 pm »
Good afternoon Sirs,

I'm using Altium to make a PCB. And I have a problem in the positioning of some components on the printed circuit board.

I have a connector for a SOM, and I would like to put resistors underneath this module, in the same layer.

But Altium is not allowing you to place these resistors.

I'm dragging the component towards the connector, and when I reach the edge of it, it stops.

Is there a rule that I have not enabled, or configured incorrectly, to allow this action?

PS: Physically there is enough height for this. The resistor I use is a 0603, and there is space underneath the SOM for it.

Kind Regards,

Daniel M.

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
Re: Move Component Under Other
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 08:08:04 pm »
is the SoM locked?

Offline DerekG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 08:16:19 pm »
I'm dragging the component towards the connector, and when I reach the edge of it, it stops.

Is there a rule that I have not enabled, or configured incorrectly, to allow this action?

1/ Do either of your library components contain a "keep out" area within their bounds? Many standard Altium library components do.

2/ You may have a design rule set - ie minimum spacing component-to-component say 10mils
I also sat between Elvis & Bigfoot on the UFO.

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 08:32:08 pm »
If you disable online DRC (Preferences > PCB Editor > General, under "Editing Options") can you put the resistors where you want?  If so, and you then run DRC, what errors does it give you for the resistors/SOM?

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 08:47:19 pm »

Thanks for all replys,

"is the SoM locked?", Falcon69, i'll try do with lock and unlock ... And the same thing happens

"1/ Do either of your library components contain a "keep out" area within their bounds? Many standard Altium library components do.

2/ You may have a design rule set - ie minimum spacing component-to-component say 10mil"

DerekG, the footprint of this component don't have any "keep-out", only Top Layers. Now, this component spacing configuration, I do not know. The settings I found, I did. Maybe there are some that are missing yet.

"If you disable online DRC (Preferences > PCB Editor > General, under "Editing Options") can you put the resistors where you want?  If so, and you then run DRC, what errors does it give you for the resistors/SOM?"

ajb, I thought about it too, and I disabled the DRC, but that did not help.

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 08:56:38 pm »
For help, i post one video in Youtube

Sorry for the quality.

As you can see, I can not drag into the connector.

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 11:19:20 am »
Guys, I was able to do what I wanted.

By pressing the R key while doing a component placement, the tool will toggle between three placement rules: - Ignore Obstacles - Push Obstacles - Avoid Obstacles. The software is configured in the avoid obstacles mode. The mode i want is - Ignore Obstacles.

Offline DerekG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 11:21:57 am »
As you can see, I can not drag into the connector.

Take a look at the screen shot. You need to change the interactive (manual) routing setting from "Stop At First Obstacle" to "Ignore Obstacles"

I also sat between Elvis & Bigfoot on the UFO.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf