Author Topic: Multi channel design  (Read 1815 times)

Offline VermontEETopic starter

• Contributor
Multi channel design
« on: March 10, 2017, 05:35:07 pm »
I have a schematic and a layout that is complete. I'd like to make a 7 channel design out of it. I can easily change the reference designators for each channel so they are unique for each channel. The net names across all of the channels are the same and would all be shorted on the PCB across all of the channels. Obviously there are some nets like +12V and GND that should be shorted while others like "latch1" should be "latch1" on channel 1 and "latch2" on channel 2.  I'm not comfortable with the repeat function (yet, although I might be by the end of the weekend). I'm not sure which direction to go in.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: Multi channel design
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 05:40:30 pm »
Do it -- Altium will take care of naming.  Make sure naming is set up to your liking under Project Options.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
Re: Multi channel design
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 07:59:03 pm »
Use repeat, or just place seven copies of the sheet symbol on the parent sheet, either way will work.  It may take a bit of trial and error to get the naming scheme how you want, but that's not too bad.  Just be sure to verify that the PCB displays the correct connectivity in and out of each channel before you go too far and you'll be fine.  If you use repeat, there's a specific syntax to get the individual signals in and out of the subsheet with a bus, so be sure to do it exactly as the documentation shows.

Even after the few minutes of poking it to get things right, it's still way better than manually duplicating the channels!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf