Author Topic: Multiple 3D models for the same footprint  (Read 3513 times)

Offline hansibullTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Multiple 3D models for the same footprint
« on: November 22, 2016, 09:10:57 am »
Hi!
Is it possible to add multiple 3D-models to the same footprint, and choose which one to use?
I'm creating a custom component library, and e.g for the DIP-8 footprint I want to add a DIP-8 IC and a 4P DIP switch. Can the 3D model be added to the schematic library instead?
Now I've just imported the 3d model using "P + 3D Body" and selected "Generic 3D model"
Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 09:23:02 am by hansibull »

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: Multiple 3D models for the same footprint
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 11:42:18 am »
Legacy PCB3D models I think can do that?

The canonical way to do that today, would probably be, make one footprint for each (as if you're using the parts, one at a time, alone), then use project variants to link an alternate library part and footprint for the other kinds.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 12:02:00 pm »
the PCB3D library designer is not very intuitive. I'm able to import the .step 3d model, but there's no way to align the 3D model to the PCB footprint. After adding the component to a schematic (preview with the 3D model) and importing them into the PCB, I'm just getting the bare footprint and not the 3D model. There's very little resources about the PCB3D editor out there. Is it weird wanting to have jellybean footprints with different 3D models?

EDIT:
I tried to add a component from Analog Devices (ofiicial library), which had its 3D model in a separate file. The 3D model did not appear on the PCB, only the footprint.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 12:37:25 pm by hansibull »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 09:29:21 am »
I send a mail to the Altium support team, and it turns out it isn't possible. I'm joining Dave's rant!  :box:

Hello,

You are right, multiple 3D model for one footprint is currently not supported in Altium Designer. It means you need to clone the footprint and assign a new 3D model.
If you need to re-use footprints for different 3D models, the only way to manage this, is to have an Altium Vault (cost option) , this one has a different component management system that makes a re-use of the footprint as well.

If you would like to have a look at the Altium Vault and make some test, get back to your local Altium sales representative, he can generate a trial license.

Hope it helps!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf