Author Topic: One altium prj, multiple board how?  (Read 9387 times)

Online MechatrommerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
One altium prj, multiple board how?
« on: July 13, 2016, 06:55:05 am »
I have one project file,say, myproj.pcbprj. in that i have 2 schematics sheets a.sch and b.sch. i added pcb files to the project, a.pcb and b.pcb. what i need is a.pcb to populate ONLY from a.sch on a board. And b.pcb to populate b.sch ONLY on another independent board, how? What normally happened when i 'insert from sch' in a.pcb editor, it will add components from both a.sch and b.sch into a board (combined from a and b), i dont want this, there is no option to do this. I dont think altium this limited i maybe dont know the term/option to find. how?
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
Re: One altium prj, multiple board how?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 07:29:08 am »
I know what you mean Mechatrommer, I don't about Altium but I have seen this done with Cadance Orcad, and there were maybe 5 or 6 pcbs on one panel. Each PCB had different ground and vcc names on the schematic, say, gnda and vcca for a.sch and gndb and vccb for b.sch. By using different names then the gnd and vcc nets for each schematic are not connected and all the components from a.sch and b.sch will end up on the board but they will be separate. The only drawback is that it then becomes very difficult to generate 3D models of each PCB, you get a 3D model for the whole panel. Generally speaking if I need a production panel with more than one board on it I design each one separately and let the PCB manufacturers do the panel layout from indervidual Gerbers.

Offline vzoole

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 07:30:37 am »
Place a "Compile Mask" (Place/Directives/Compile Mask) to both schematics and allow only that which PCB you wanna update.

The following users thanked this post: Mechatrommer, chris_leyson, BShmid

Offline chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 07:43:55 am »
Place a "Compile Mask" (Place/Directives/Compile Mask) to both schematics and allow only that which PCB you wanna update.
Thats a handy tip, must see if Orcad has a feature like this.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 10:08:32 am »
Why do you want one project?  You clearly have two.  One project, one board.

That said, the compile mask sounds interesting. I'll have a look at that as well...

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Online MechatrommerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 11:10:54 am »
Why do you want one project?  You clearly have two.  One project, one board.
because i have one product (hence one project) with 2 or more boards in it connected by fly wires. i dont like the idea of separate project with the same name and specific board such as "ProjectThis_Board1.PcbPrj" and "ProjectThis_Board2.PcbPrj", thats less stellar imho.

thanks, tried it and it worked, but i guess thats a nasty hack for it. i'm expecting altium can specifically assigned a pcb to a set of selected sheet(s) or vice versa. with the compile mask hack, i have to remember to expand and collapse them when i update/import among boards, not really neat imho, but thanks anyway, its better than nothing. and the mask render poorly too on my machine :palm:
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline vzoole

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 01:40:29 pm »
Why do you want one project?
In my case... If you make a panelised board from other projects it can't handle assembly variants. It works only if everything in one project.

i'm expecting altium can specifically assigned a pcb to a set of selected sheet(s) or vice versa.
Unfortunately not :(.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 03:11:39 pm »
One PCB, one project. If you want to panelise it, use the (place) embedded board array/panelise tool to insert the already finished boards into a different project. You can have PCBs without project.

Offline vzoole

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 05:45:56 pm »
One PCB, one project. If you want to panelise it, use the (place) embedded board array/panelise tool to insert the already finished boards into a different project. You can have PCBs without project.

Yes... but as I mentioned assembly variants do not work in this case.

Offline BShmid

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2021, 09:39:08 am »
:clap: This is a cool one!
I understand you meant Place a "Compile Mask" onto the schematic not being updated on the PCB.
Right?

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2021, 04:32:11 pm »
because i have one product (hence one project) with 2 or more boards in it connected by fly wires. i dont like the idea of separate project with the same name and specific board such as "ProjectThis_Board1.PcbPrj" and "ProjectThis_Board2.PcbPrj"

A recent project had a main PCB with MCU, a number of secondary display boards, and some passive connection boards that held everything together as well as provided connectivity. The way I organised it (which may not be the best, or recommended) was to:

* Have each PCB as a distinct PrjPCB project
* Have a multiboard assembly (PrjMbd) project to tie them all together to make sure they fit
* Wrap the whole lot in a DsnWrk workspace.

The workspace is named appropriately for the entire project, and the individual PrjPcb named for what that PCB is. I think that's more logicial than having two different PCBs with the same name, which is what you seem to be trying to achieve.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf