Author Topic: Online Altium and Board Design class starting today.  (Read 7890 times)

Offline sacherjjTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Online Altium and Board Design class starting today.
« on: February 11, 2013, 01:18:11 pm »
I have no affiliation with Robert, other than having watched all of his Altium videos on Youtube multiple times while learning the product and just paid to take this course. 

He sent out an email that his first Altium/Board Design class is starting today.  It seems like a complete steal for $99.  10 week class as 1 hour video segments with estimated 10 hours work total per week (including video and self time for exercises).

URL for course description and registration links: http://www.fedevel.com/academy/schematic-pcb-design-course-online/

He is offering money back if you are not satisfied through week 5.

If you do not have an Altium license, he has arranged 90 day license for those taking the class.

Hopefully this we be helpful for others like me who are just starting to really learn Altium.  (Actually received my license on Friday, so good timing I guess.)

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
Re: Online Altium and Board Design class starting today.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 08:38:24 pm »
Already signed up here. For those that don't know, Robert does embedded designs, you will get to see a lot more than just menu descriptions of DXP. How he routes discrete DDR2 banks, how he breaks out and routes x86 Atom CPUs... Worth it
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

Offline Spikee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 10:17:08 pm »
I signed up ! As a student i only got a brief explanation of Altium and certainly not a good one ...
His English pronunciation is not the best which may bother you but as an fellow non native English speaker i know how hard it is  :( .
The course seems really nice and i hope to learn more about pcb design. I study Embedded Systems Engineering at college and i don't get courses about pcb design what i really found remarkable. So i have to learn it myself and i think this will help me whit it.
Freelance electronics design service, Small batch assembly, Firmware / WEB / APP development. In Shenzhen China

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 11:56:17 pm »
It seems like a complete steal for $99.  10 week class as 1 hour video segments with estimated 10 hours work total per week (including video and self time for exercises).

That's something what I need to do in regards to paid content.

Dave.

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 07:46:23 pm »
It seems like a complete steal for $99.  10 week class as 1 hour video segments with estimated 10 hours work total per week (including video and self time for exercises).

That's something what I need to do in regards to paid content.

Dave.
if you dont want it to get reseeded on the net create some uniq identifier for the files and the user whom its sent to, which cannot be removed from the file

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 03:40:01 pm »
RObert is using rtmp as a method of trying to lock down content a bit.  Unfortunately that is very easy to crack.  I'm actually saving the local MP4s, as when I'm going through the content in this course, I'm often at a place where I can't really stream 1080p.  However, they are never getting off my drive to any where. 

I agree Dave on the method of distribution.  You can make a "course" that you can let people work through and it would take less time for the second offering, as it is just re-editing / shooting what didn't work as well and needed fixed.

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 09:23:37 am »
I wasn't too impressed by the first Lesson.
He wastes a lot of time in the last, say 40 minutes. The talk about directory structures, backup etc is good but the rest is jumping around too much and touches too many unrelated topics. I didn't have the feeling he had planned the lesson content.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 09:06:37 pm »
I wasn't too impressed by the first Lesson.
He wastes a lot of time in the last, say 40 minutes. The talk about directory structures, backup etc is good but the rest is jumping around too much and touches too many unrelated topics. I didn't have the feeling he had planned the lesson content.

I'm thinking the same thing.  I had hoped to get into Altium quicker.  Maybe he will get better as it goes along.  I know his shorter Altium videos are generally better than this was.

Offline tec5c

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 07:00:21 am »
The second lesson is now up. I haven't watched it yet although it is titled " Lesson 2: Schematic design (Drawing schematic, Conventions and useful tips to create a well readable schematic)"

Either way, I was happy to pay the $99 as I have not seen any type of course like this anywhere near that price. Along with being familiar with Robert's work, it was a no-brainer to participate in the course!

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 09:43:18 am »
I'm considering signing up as well... Given the so-so reception op part one, has anyone watched part two yet?

Offline Spikee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 12:01:45 pm »
Content - Lesson 2

(00:00) Introduction
(00:20) File names
(03:30) Top sheet, Cover page
(08:09) Block Diagram, Titles
(10:55) Revision History, Parameters
(13:20) Project template
(15:14) Bonus - Linux compilation
(23:35) Creating a new Project
(29:46) Naming Powers
(31:34) Net classes
(32:28) Notes, NF - Not Fitted Components
(34:15) Page references on Ports
(35:20) Test points, Doc pages
(37:15) Bonus - x86 Power sequencing
(42:30) Optional resistors / circuits
(45:20) Junctions
(47:11) Put everything into schematic
(48:56) Hierarchy / Harness
(51:20) Net names
(52:36) Mechanical
(55:10) Bonus - DDR3 SODIMM Length Matching
(59:32) Summary
(1:00:51) End

I found the second lesson very useful. The project template he made in Altium is awesome! Many things i haven't seen before but are verry usefull were in it. He also got a better camera / webcam ;)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 12:04:33 pm by Spikee »
Freelance electronics design service, Small batch assembly, Firmware / WEB / APP development. In Shenzhen China

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf