Author Topic: Pad on the edge of the PCB  (Read 7746 times)

Offline XavierGTopic starter

Pad on the edge of the PCB
« on: December 03, 2014, 10:44:33 am »
Hello,

I created a pad on the top and on the border of the PCB. But I also want that pad on the edge of the PCB.
So my question is how to add something on the edge of the PCB? Maybe not a "real" Altium pad but a "custom" pad with "Top Layer" and "Top Solder"?

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
Re: Pad on the edge of the PCB
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 10:54:20 am »
You mean you want copper (pad) on the side of the pcb?
Your problem is not only how to do that with Altium but also to find any pcb manufacturer that can make that.  :-//

Offline Codemonkey

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 11:03:59 am »
If you're referring to castellated pads of the sort found on the edge of bluetooth modules etc, then the way to do it is just create an oval pad with a plated through hole. Then, you have to have the boards panelised but not routed out (if the pcb fab use a router to separate the boards, the rotating action of the router bit will tear out the through hole plating as it moves along its path). Instead, the boards should be cut from the panel using a dicing / singulation saw as these are precise enough to saw down the middle of a plated through hole without damaging it.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 11:56:21 am »
If you're referring to castellated pads of the sort found on the edge of bluetooth modules etc, then the way to do it is just create an oval pad with a plated through hole. Then, you have to have the boards panelised but not routed out (if the pcb fab use a router to separate the boards, the rotating action of the router bit will tear out the through hole plating as it moves along its path). Instead, the boards should be cut from the panel using a dicing / singulation saw as these are precise enough to saw down the middle of a plated through hole without damaging it.
This approach used to be something you only saw with RF modules, but a lot of other modules are made this way now. It should be easy to find a fabricator who knows exactly what you need.

Online Batang

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 03:06:11 pm »
Most PCB manufactures can do this, we use it on a few boards.

See Included image.

Cheers

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 03:31:51 pm »
Most PCB manufactures can do this, we use it on a few boards.
And how do you guarantee mechanical longlevity of this thin plating?
Or is it only to be used a couple of times max. ?

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 07:59:59 pm »
What do you mean "used"?  It's a pad like any other, intended for one soldered joint, maybe some rework at your peril, and that's that.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 08:45:10 am »
What do you mean "used"?  It's a pad like any other, intended for one soldered joint, maybe some rework at your peril, and that's that.
Ah ok then my mistake I thought about it being used as a connector for instance for ICP or something like that.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf