Author Topic: PCB edge plating in Altium  (Read 18103 times)

Offline babiTopic starter

• Contributor
PCB edge plating in Altium
« on: October 09, 2015, 11:29:57 am »
I am designing a PCB to fit into a 44 pin PLCC socket. The edge of the board must be plated like this:

Do normal manufacturers offer this kind of edge plating? How can I add this kind of edge plating to my pads in Altium?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: PCB edge plating in Altium
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 11:55:18 am »
In the case shown that's opposite to the usual way called "castellations", where you half route off a plated hole:
http://www.viasystems.com/documents/technology/application-note-castellated-holes.pdf

You want edge plating with the holes routing out the edges to form the contacts (not sure if there is a common name for this?)
Not all manufacturers will do edge plating, but most decent ones will.
You normally specify this as a detailed note on your geber files. There isn't a way to do it in Altium itself AFAIK.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 12:20:51 pm »
Thanks Dave.

I know about castellations, but I'm afraid if I use castellation instead of edge plating, the board won't fit into the PLCC connector. Do you have any ideas?

Offline krivx

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 02:23:17 pm »
it looks like these would be done with through-plated slots that are then routed through and holes drilled between them. This sounds like it would require multiple drilling/routing stages, so you will almost definitely have to communicate this with the manufacturer.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 07:46:38 am »
Thanks. Yes, it seems I have to design a plated slot and have the manufacture drill the extra copper.

Offline Zman

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 02:32:05 am »
some manufactures call these "half-holes" as it is a normal plated round hole which is cut in a half by routing

you can do the same with routing and have flat edges, yes
just need to specify routing paths for plated and non-plated spots in different layers and explicitly tell about this to manufacturer
Information wants to be FREE!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf