Author Topic: Pick and Place file problem when flip board (Bottom Layer) X axis goes negative  (Read 4093 times)

Offline FullRock66Topic starter

• Contributor
Hi Folks, I have a problem with pick and place file, I´m using a pick and place machine (automatic) and when I try to generate the pick and place file to the bottom side of the board the X axis goes to negative values and  machine doesnt work, to generate bottom side I flip the board (View- Flip Board) and set the origin on the lower left side of the board, Anyone knows why X axis goes to negative?. |O

Offline ANTALIFE

• Frequent Contributor
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    • Muh Blog
Have you tried generating the pick & place file via outjobs? As in add an .outjob file to the project and export a pick & place file through that

• Contributor
Dear ANTALIFE, yes, I try to do that, but results are the same, the official documentation of Altium say the next :

After launching the command, the entire workspace for the editor will be turned over (flipped).

All actions and editing commands are supported for flipped boards/components. The coordinate space remains logically the same, ie. the workspace origin moves from the bottom-left to the bottom-right. The current grid position increases in the X (horizontal) direction as you move the mouse from right to left, instead of the normal left to right. Any output generated while the view is flipped will maintain the correct 'viewed-from-top' coordinate information. me

I really dont know if that information means that its imposibble to correct the position of the axis on Flip Board ....

Thanks for your reply .

Offline DerekG

• Frequent Contributor
Anyone knows why X axis goes to negative?. |O

I have noticed this too. I guess no-one has reported this bug to Altium. You will note that when you flip the board, the newly flipped board moves in the x axis & you have to re-zoom to centre the board again on your monitor.

If you send the pick & place file to a board shop they will quickly notice this & apply an x offset to counteract the incorrect offset. Of course, this only comes into play if you are robot loading components onto the bottom side of the board.

This offset problem has been with AD for a very long time ........... maybe as long back as the first releases of AD.

Don't hold your breath, but if you report it to Altium they might get around to fixing it. As it is easy to replicate in all cases, it should not be hard for them to correct their code.
I also sat between Elvis & Bigfoot on the UFO.

• Contributor
Dear DerekG, thanks a lot for your reply, I´m starting to feel alone on Universe, did you know how to correct this quickly ?. I´m using a pick and place machine (TM240A old fashion of Neoden) and to operate bottom layer I need to correct X negative axis, do the correction vía Excel vía maths its a little roug. You mention this : the newly flipped board moves in the x axis & you have to re-zoom to centre the board again on your monitor. this its the solution?.

Thanks!!!!

• Contributor
Dear DerekG, I found the solution, its a cavern days solution but its works!, if you need to know how to correct the bug temporarily please let me and I show you how.

Offline DerekG

• Frequent Contributor
if you need to know how to correct the bug temporarily please let me and I show you how.

Yes, please let us know. Many loading houses simply use vision (cameras) to reset the origin so they can work with the file.
I also sat between Elvis & Bigfoot on the UFO.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
pick data is always generated form top view. you NEVER flip the board.

the pick data will tell you if a part is top or bottom. the pick machine will do the translation for you.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf