Author Topic: Re-organizing libraries, how to update old projects to new locations?  (Read 1928 times)

Offline IcchanTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hi.

I'm somewhat new to Altium, so excuse my ignorance that led me to this situation. :D

I have a bunch of projects with part libraries (SCHLib, PCBLib, 3D models) that are situated inside the project folder. The names are basically "project_name.PCBLib" and "project_name.SCHLib" and they only include components that were made on the spot for that particular project. They're not organized by type or manufacturer, they're just the parts of the project in a messy single library.

Basically made adhoc on the spot.

Now i would want to move to more centralized library scheme where I would have SVN-server that stores my library files and they are organized by type into folders and sub-folders.
e.g: Library/Footprints/Dpak...SSOP etc. and Library/Symbols/IC/Op-amps/... etc..

I will use DBlib or SVNLib to tie this all together using MySQL database.

The issue is, that if I move all the stuff from project specific libraries to the new system, I need to update all the projects to use the new locations or if I make a change into any component, the older projects won't update with he new data.

I've spent better part of two days trying to figure out if there any proper way, a tool or something to make this easier.

But my current understanding is, that after organizing all of my parts in to the new system and locations, I need to open every project and manually point all the components to the new location of that components data.

Has anyone ever done this kind of migration before and how?

I can always do all this completely manually, but i hope i don't have to use few weeks doing this and making absolutely sure nothing breaks in the process.

thank you for all the help you can give :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 04:05:50 pm by Icchan »

Offline cadguy68

• Contributor
Re: Re-organizing libraries, how to update old projects to new locations?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 08:06:12 pm »
Yes, I had to do this, for dozens of projects.  Manual, slow, boring, time consuming, but necessary.

After 5+ years of adhoc libraries we finally created a DbLib linked to our corporate database which is really nice now.  But I also had to spend about a half-year converting all of our 'current' and 'recent' projects to the new database library format.  Doing so also revealed additional things that were needed in the database library scheme.

It's was a huge project, but well worth the effort.  Life is good now, especially when BOM time comes around ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf