Author Topic: Room designators  (Read 3156 times)

Offline MathisTopic starter

Room designators
« on: May 05, 2015, 11:06:46 am »
Hi everybody!

Have anybody find out - is it possible to make normal component designators for components in rooms? I mean if i make standard schematic and update pcb than I have forexample: C1, R1, U6 etc. If I make a room with components with reapeat than I have: C1_1, R1_1, U6_1 for 1st room and C1_2, R1_2, U6_2 for 2nd room etc. If I change in Board settings to show only Logical designators than I have C1, R1, U6 for 1st room and C1, R1, U6 for 2nd room atc. Is ther a way how to make it as normal Designator: C1, R1, U6 for first room and C2, R2, U7 for 2nd room etc?

I hope you catched the idea...
(I'm using Altium 10)

Offline jamieoc

Re: Room designators
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 03:47:11 pm »
I don't know about AD10 but in AD15 this can be done. Things might not have changed much so you might be able to roughly follow the steps below in AD10.

• With your project open go to tools>board level annotate.
  • Down the bottom of the popup select annotate options.
  • Change the naming scheme to "$ComponentPrefix$GlobalIndex".
  • Change Process location of to part.
  • Select all sheets you want to annotate and click OK.
  • Back in the board level annotate pop up click annotate>annotate undesignated.
  • Check the designators have been updated as you like in the PCB component instance column.
  • Accept the changes.

Let me know if this works in AD10.

One thing I would say though is that I find on multi-channel designs its a good idea having the channel number embedded in the designation to make it really easy to follow where each component goes during prototyping and debug. If your not a fan of the underscore you can always change the formatting in the project options. I like to use something like R1C1 or if you don't want the channel suffix and you have less than 10 of each component type you can always use R1x or Rx1.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 04:01:31 pm by jamieoc »

Offline MathisTopic starter

Re: Room designators
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 11:03:41 am »
Thank you very much - tried to find this by my self allready for half a year :D

Yes it works in AD10 just fine. In my case - for prototypes I use standart type: C1_1 etc, but this was more aimed for mass production.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf