Author Topic: Scaling mechanical objects (title block/template) in PCB editor  (Read 20387 times)

Offline toohecTopic starter

• Contributor
Scaling mechanical objects (title block/template) in PCB editor
« on: February 21, 2013, 02:55:14 am »
Does anyone know how to scale a group of objects in the PCB editor?  I have a title block / drawing template (for my assembly and fab drawings) that is composed of quite a bit of text / lines, and I'd like to scale it down to better fit the size of my board.  This is the one function that has eluded me for the longest time; Seems like such a simple task, yet I have never been able to find the appropriate command / keyboard shortcut.  Anyone know how?  :-//

I know it can be done, since I saw our previous PCB design engineer do it.  But he's moved on, and I never took the opportunity to ask how.  Doh!

Edit:  FYI, this is in Altium Designer Summer '09  (9.3.1.XXX)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 02:58:39 am by toohec »

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
Re: Scaling mechanical objects (title block/template) in PCB editor
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 03:07:55 am »
as far as i know that is not possible. you cannot scale anything in altium. that would defeat the mechanical precision of the tool

you can use pcb sheets. there is a whole bunch of templates. those can be scaled automatically.

http://wiki.altium.com/display/ADOH/Preparing+the+Board+for+Design+Transfer
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 03:33:30 am »
1) Select all the objects

2) Right-click on one of them and select "Unions" - "Create union from selected objects"

3) Right-click again and select "Unions" - "Resize Union" and select one of the objects so handles appear on each corner of the union

4) Drag the handles to resize the entire union

5) Right-click and select "Unions" - "Break objects from union" and remove all objects from the union.

6) Pay me $100   :P

« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 03:40:25 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 03:51:43 am »
2) Right-click on one of them and select "Unions" - "Create union from selected objects"

Did Summer 09 have unions?

A possibility is exporting to DXF and importing with a different scale.

That said a title block and text needs to be a certain size to be readable which is independent of the size of the PCB so I don't really see much point.

Offline toohecTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 04:10:36 am »
1) Select all the objects
3) Right-click again and select "Unions" - "Resize Union" and select one of the objects so handles appear on each corner of the union
4) Drag the handles to resize the entire union
5) Right-click and select "Unions" - "Break objects from union" and remove all objects from the union.
6) Pay me $100   :P

Worked beautifully!!  Except step 6... that function is not supported in Summer '09! ;D  I had a feeling it had to do with unions, but I never saw the "resize union" option.  I tried searching all sorts of keywords including "resize" in Altium's wiki, but it never pulled up the "resize unions" function.   Darn them!  Anyway thanks a lot! 

P.S.  We have several drawing templates that we use at our company, but I was making a drawing for a very small, detailed PCB, and our standard smallest template was still way too large.  I thought about the DXF import/export option, but I knew the resize option was possible since I saw it done in the past.

Anyway, problem solved.  Thanks again Psi!

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 04:40:52 am »
holy bimbam !!!
i finally learned a new trick in altium.

never used unions yet.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf