Author Topic: Selection border for new components  (Read 2024 times)

Offline ZornorTopic starter

Selection border for new components
« on: April 02, 2017, 12:33:50 pm »
So, i needed a plate to plate connector and came up with something like this (4 headers considered by altium as the same component) 2017 04 02 15 27 37" border="0.
So when i'm tring to select multiple items inside this component (for example 2 SMBs) it moves the connector. So my question is: can you set a specific selection border for new components

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: Selection border for new components
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 02:50:56 pm »
S, I (Select, Inside), draw rectangle.

Alternately, lock the larger component so it doesn't get selected or moved while working around it.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

The following users thanked this post: Zornor

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 03:18:34 pm »
Not exactly what i wanted to do, but it works too. Thanks for response  :-+

Offline HWgeek

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 10:16:44 am »
So, i needed a plate to plate connector and came up with something like this (4 headers considered by altium as the same component) 2017 04 02 15 27 37" border="0.
So when i'm tring to select multiple items inside this component (for example 2 SMBs) it moves the connector. So my question is: can you set a specific selection border for new components

Some assumptions-
Just a thought, since your connector is actually four connectors, which you buy individually don't make it one connector.
Rather place the individual conns on the board and make a union of them.  This way your bom will be correct and no one needs special knowledge (it's not one connector, it's 4!) to assemble the board.
Also if you need board to board connectors, check out samtec, they have some small footprint high pin count parts.

Other wise the previous post is spot on, you have on big part so lock it down in order to select parts under it.  Btw you will need a drc rule to avoid parts under/inside your big connector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 08:47:09 pm »
Well, i united them in 1 part for ease of later reuse and to not mess up the sizes and placement on the mezzanine. As for DRC check, I've added a 3d body for that "part" containing 4 separate areas for every single PLD, and the DRC rules check passes successfully. I've considered samtec and probably will use them in next project.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf