Author Topic: Workflows used with Altium and git  (Read 2232 times)

Offline logictomTopic starter

• Supporter
Workflows used with Altium and git
« on: November 06, 2017, 04:27:54 am »
I am wanting to move our Altium files into git, currently there is a mixture of methods used for projects but essentially it boils down to a folder including the name and version, inside are the sch/pcb/prj files with the project name and version number, then another folder with the BOM, gerbers, another folder with things like step files that aren't already part of the components, eg case, etc.

How are others handling bumping revisions and file naming when using git?
I was initially thinking single repo per project then tag when released and bump the project parameter - the only thing I'm not convinced about using this method is file naming - it's ok for things like schematic where there's a version/revision number in the document block but how do you go about including that in the file name for things like gerber files? In the past I've named the project with the version number so you end up with projectName_v01.gerberlayer type of naming, this may be a lack of familiarity with outjob files though.

I was playing around with a outjob file to try get a structure like this but didn't have much luck.
-project
--variant A
---files for variant A
--variant B
---files for variant B

If anyone can share their method for keeping files within git, how they're released (outjob), how variants and new revisions are handled it would be appreciated  :)
I have heard whispers of the mythical one button release and wondered if anyone has managed to achieve this and integrate git into the process.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 04:30:13 am by logictom »

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
Re: Workflows used with Altium and git
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 05:58:59 am »
So the issue is that you dont want to ever have files from different revisions that have the same name and no way to tell what version they came from?
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline logictomTopic starter

• Supporter
Re: Workflows used with Altium and git
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 07:44:02 am »
Not so much the mixing of files, there's usually a few back and forth with files with the board stuffer, either early quotes or adding more information where requested and it's nice to have the files named with the version - less likely hood of them mixing files up. Not really worried about that on our side.
I guess I'm just trying to work out the best way forward without having to go through iterations and cover all bases if possible and though someone else might have a method to share and possibly cover things I haven't thought about.
I could just stick it all in and be done with it but if there's a better way :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf