Author Topic: DXF importer  (Read 2696 times)

Offline barefootstTopic starter

DXF importer
« on: August 15, 2014, 09:13:24 pm »
Could someone please help me with dxf importer. Can't get mine to import.

If someone could please get me it into a format that I can work with ( need it to get desing of the footprint ).
Or say how I can get it working. Am I atleast right that the dxf file will make the footprint design easier.

Pls help me out.
Stephan Terblanche
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 09:24:39 pm by barefootst »

Re: DXF importer
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 09:22:30 pm »
Any luck importing it?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 09:25:02 pm by barefootst »

Offline Precipice

• Frequent Contributor
Re: XDF importer
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 09:26:16 pm »
It imports fine here - (14.2)
create a new PCB,
file -> import
select the dxf file (this used to not work across a network, so copy it somewhere local to be sure)
select 'mm' for the scale - it's Japanese.

3 drawings appear - it looks like a 0.5mm pitch mezzanine connector. However, they'll not be very much use for making a footprint.
The datasheet here
http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/393494/PANASONIC/AXK5.html  (or Panasonic may have it, I just did a quick search) has the recommended PCB layout.

It doesn't seem to be a very popular part, do you have a supplier?

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 09:34:28 pm »
Hey, you are right. With luck I got the part but had to do some scavaging. Ok thought it would create it for me. Should I use the component wizzard or just, create the pads with an array. Not at a pc with altium on atm. Could you please check for me when designing the pads should if follw the dimensions of the "Recommended metal mask pattern" or "Recommended PC board pattern", the first one if I'm right.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 09:41:07 pm by barefootst »

Offline Precipice

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 10:07:03 am »
Either place array or wizard - there won't be much in it. The wizard will place some silk screen details you'll have to delete...

PC Board pattern is for the copper on the PCB, metal mask pattern is for the solder paste stencil. Bear in mind that these connectors will be quite tricky to hand solder - 0.5mm pitch, 0.23mm pins, which extend under the part, and will wick solder under there that will be difficult to get back out, even with solderwick and flux. I'd definitely be dabbing solder _only_ on the end of the pin, and I'd probably extend the footprint a bit, to give some uncovered pad, to make it easier to get heat into the PCB trace.
Any attempt to flow solder along many pins with a large bit is likely to end up with the solder running under the part, and being impossible to get back out. One pin at a time, for these. (Or, of course, solder paste, stencil and careful reflow)

I'd also reiterate - make damn sure you can get these parts before designing them in. Probably to the point of having them in your hands. Rare connectors are a nightmare. There may, or may not, be an interoperable series from other manufacturers.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 10:09:28 am by Precipice »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf