Author Topic: Ah #16 Biz  (Read 4085 times)

Offline FreeThinkerTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Truth through Thought
Ah #16 Biz
« on: November 11, 2010, 04:03:20 pm »
Hi Again! :D
Just aquick comment to Chris about pcb manufacture.Have you considered a small CNC router? These are normally controled by a stand alone pc (does not need to be very powerful) they take the standard gerber files and convert them to Gcode and can route a 50mm x 50mm (2"x2") in less than 1/2 hour.Check out http://www.machsupport.com/ for some VERY nice software and do a search for cnc routers and check out the specs.This can prove a very cost effective alternative for small quantity boards with a fast turn around requirement.I'm in the process of building one from scrap bits and pieces (ie slides from an old printer and scanner etc) but then I am environmentally friendly (cheap?) :D
Machines were mice and Men were lions once upon a time, but now that it's the opposite it's twice upon a time.
MOONDOG

Offline ChrisGammell

• Supporter
    • Chris Gammell's Analog Life
Re: Ah #16 Biz
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 02:44:18 am »
Oh heck yes! Those are awesome and we use one at work. But I was using 8 mil spacing parts on the board I was making. In retrospect, I was quite demanding (3 day turn as well).

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 04:26:29 am »
Oh heck yes! Those are awesome and we use one at work. But I was using 8 mil spacing parts on the board I was making. In retrospect, I was quite demanding (3 day turn as well).

8mil? that's freaking huge.
I used to do 6/6mil at home with laser printed transparencies and positive resist boards.
Problem was your board was 4 layer, not do-able with the basic cnc mill routers.

Dave.

Offline FreeThinkerTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Truth through Thought
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 07:47:55 am »

8mil? that's freaking huge.
I used to do 6/6mil at home with laser printed transparencies and positive resist boards.
Problem was your board was 4 layer, not do-able with the basic cnc mill routers.

Dave.
Hmmm Yes I remembered the 4 layer requirement after I posted and was at work :-\.Still you could try and stick them together and run them through the laminator  ;D.
Machines were mice and Men were lions once upon a time, but now that it's the opposite it's twice upon a time.
MOONDOG

Offline scrat

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 11:27:52 am »
We had a complete high end prototyping line at work: CNC milling with calibration camera (0.1mm min. spacing), a press for multilayer, a reflow oven, stencil frame for solder paste, manual pick&place. It was a huge expense, but we ended using the milling machine only: the oven needed to be calibrated for each board, the stencil required expensive material and the press took a long time, while giving not so good results.
A good feature was the method for vias "metallization", which required some simple tools and a conductive polymer paste.

I think the CNC machine could be worth for a company which makes heavy prototyping, even if it costs a bit!

I'm surprised of the 6/6mils Dave could achieve!
One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man. - Elbert Hubbard

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf