Author Topic: Guest Suggestions  (Read 25215 times)

Offline mgburr

Re: Guest Suggestions
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2011, 12:48:28 pm »
You need some English talent to balance you and Dave out. Now who could you get.? Ummm? :o)

Clive "Max" Maxfield would work for the "English" Talent. :-D   

Offline Slobodan

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2011, 01:37:49 pm »
Ben Heck  :D. I like his show.

Offline tekfan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2011, 05:23:58 pm »
You need some English talent to balance you and Dave out. Now who could you get.? Ummm? :o)

How about Tim Hunkin?
One can never have enough oscilloscopes.

Offline monpjc

• Contributor
    • monpjc
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2011, 06:55:50 pm »

How about Tim Hunkin?

I meant me when I posted that comment.  :-\

Offline Zad

• Super Contributor
    • Digital Wizardry, Analogue Alchemy, Software Sorcery
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2011, 11:39:22 pm »
Anything but Ben Heck... He calls himself an artist anyway, definitely isn't an engineer.

Offline gregariz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2011, 02:06:21 am »
Maybe Dave could rustle up one of the Aussie entrepreneurial icons.

Would love to hear Dick Smith, Owen Hill (microbee) or maybe Jim Rowe (EA/SC) talk about the past and future of electronics there.

In the US would be interested in someone like Nate from sparkfun.

Basically and engineers entrepreneur. Would also be interested in hearing the thoughts of VC's in the future funding trends.

Offline alvarop

• Contributor
    • alvarop.com
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2011, 02:37:00 pm »
Maybe one of the guys from http://embeddedgurus.com/ ?
Nigel Jones, Michael Barr, etc...

Offline reagle

• Supporter
    • KuzyaTech
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2011, 06:32:04 pm »
The guy from Circuit Cellar (Steve Ciarcia) might be fun

Offline BBQdChips

• Contributor
  • Is that smell coming from my board :?
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2011, 05:27:39 am »
How about a discussion with Pete Anderson, http://www.phanderson.com/
EEVBlog: The first forum you need a calculator to post on...

Offline SgtRock

• Supporter
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2011, 08:25:17 am »
Dear Chris and Dave:
--Have a female production assistant get an Audiophool, or even better would be one of the "Zero Point Energy" guys, or best of all would be the guy that sells the bicycle wheel with the magnets on it. I would really like to see him taken out behind the dumpster.

-- To get any real fun out of it, you would not want go gobble him up all at once. Oh no, you would have to play along credulously, a' la Art Bell for 15 or 20 minutes. This might necessitate duct taping Dave Jones to a chair and paralyzing his vocal cords with a short acting drug. Now stay with me.

--Chris, you would just keep on paying out rope to the guy for 10 minutes. Then you start to ask increasingly  pertinent questions for the next few minutes, and as soon as Dave's Vocal chords recover, cut him loose and then, you can both start toying with your prey. You have seen a cat with a mouse, yes? When the guy starts getting hostile, then you can both start laying the wood to his ass, right smartly, figuratively speaking of course.

--Then the guy storms off of the set, or you cut his feed or whatever. Now you demolish his entire schpiel, point by point.

--Properly done, me hearties, that would make some fine radio. And provide a public service as well.

Offline AntiProtonBoy

• Frequent Contributor
  • I think I passed the Voight-Kampff test.
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2011, 05:11:12 pm »
I second mikeselectricstuff :P

Other candidates:

Jeremy Blum - aka sciguy14 on youtube
Ben Krasnow - aka bkraz333 on youtube
tronixstuff
Ben Heck
Photonicinduction - I DARE YA

Offline Zad

• Super Contributor
    • Digital Wizardry, Analogue Alchemy, Software Sorcery
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2011, 07:19:21 pm »
Only get Ben Heck on if you want to remorselessly rip the p*ss out of him for an hour. Despite Element-14's best efforts to present him as one, Ben is not an engineer.

HLA-27b

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2011, 07:50:01 pm »
Ben Krasnow is one guy I'd definitely like to meet personally. If that's not possible having him on The Amp Hour is the next best thing.

Offline Slobodan

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2011, 01:57:12 pm »
Limor Fried (Ladyada).

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
  • You do nothing, you get nothing.
    • Books, services and more:
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2011, 10:43:34 am »
I second mikeselectricstuff :P

Other candidates:

Jeremy Blum - aka sciguy14 on youtube
Ben Krasnow - aka bkraz333 on youtube
tronixstuff
Ben Heck
Photonicinduction - I DARE YA

-1 for me. I vote for Steve Wozniak. He seems quite approachable and down to earth, and loves to talk - most interviewers have to cut him off.

Offline wosser

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2011, 08:11:59 pm »
Dean Kamen
Or Tom Jenner (the guy who did all those cool "Minimlist" entries in Chris and Jeri's 555 timer contest), it would be cool to have another analog guy on the show.

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2011, 11:55:43 pm »
-1 for me. I vote for Steve Wozniak. He seems quite approachable and down to earth, and loves to talk - most interviewers have to cut him off.

Just the opposite of Steve Jobs.

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2011, 12:38:01 am »

Just the opposite of Steve Jobs.

Indeed. I watched the movie "Pirates of Silicon Valley" last week, it may have been a varying mix of fiction and reality but still quite amusing re: Jobs.
But to keep things on track, Jon Oxer from freetronics.com would be interesting, he has much to say about open source hardware and so on.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 12:40:03 am by tronixstuff »

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2011, 01:56:36 am »
But to keep things on track, Jon Oxer from freetronics.com would be interesting, he has much to say about open source hardware and so on.
I'd agree with that J.O. is an enthusiastic speaker, but why the -1 for yourself? Shy?
Your tutorials have been very popular, besides it's just a myth about the Arduino and the kittens.

Offline AntiProtonBoy

• Frequent Contributor
  • I think I passed the Voight-Kampff test.
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2011, 04:44:06 am »
'carn tronix, i know you can do it!

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2011, 12:38:47 am »
I'd agree with that J.O. is an enthusiastic speaker, but why the -1 for yourself? Shy?
Your tutorials have been very popular, besides it's just a myth about the Arduino and the kittens.
Hey it was a simple mistake, after checking the sketch it seems I set the automatic cat feeder to yearly instead of daily...

Offline SgtRock

• Supporter
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2011, 04:38:07 am »
Dear D&C:

--Without a doubt the best suggested guest is Steve Wozniak. I would put him at the top of the list and keep him there, until you get him. I know you could not pay Mr. Wozniak anything much, and I doubt he needs money very badly. Reportedly, he enjoys teaching children, Your program could be part of that effort. Also, perhaps you could get a sponsor for the program, and have the sponsor make a donation to one of Mr. Wozniak's charities. The people of the EEVBLOG community are sho' 'nuff his kindred spirits. If you manage to get him, make sure to pre-publicize, because the listenership potential is tremendous, stupendous, colossal.

--If you cannot get him right away I recommend you have a tribute program. You could summarize excerpts from his biography, and recount interesting stories about him and the beginnings of Apple. You could also interview some of the people who have worked with him over the years (be careful here).

--If you manage to do either of the above, needless to say, some preparation will be necessary. If you get a really bang up program out of the deal, you could, after suitable editing, post a YouTube video by adding an occasional picture of Steve, the Apples, etc.

--This man is one of the most important inventors of the last hundred years, certainly in the top ten, heck, probably the top 5. He is to the personal computer what Philo T. Farnsworth is to television. The next WOZ could very well be in your audience.

--Doing tribute programs could be a way of having guests that you cannot get. So my last suggestion is for you do a program in tribute (an homage if you prefer), to Philo T. Farnsworth. This would allow D&C to get down into the weeds, and discuss some of the technical aspects of TV, and analog vs digital, bobs your uncle.

--If you ever need help with research for a project like one of the ones above, just PM me with a precis, giving me an idea of what you want, how much you want and how you want it, and I would be glad to help, Pro Bono.

--Please remember my idea about getting an "out and out" charlatan on your air, and laying the wood to his ass, after a suitable lulling. Nothing libelous of course. Best Regards
Clear Ether

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2011, 07:43:55 am »
Only get Ben Heck on if you want to remorselessly rip the p*ss out of him for an hour. Despite Element-14's best efforts to present him as one, Ben is not an engineer.
In all fairness to e14 and Ben, he is presented as an 'electronics hobbyist'
See http://www.element14.com/community/community/experts/benheck
"Introducing electronics hobbyist Ben Heckendorn, star of the all new Ben Heck Show, sponsored exclusively by element14. Join Ben and ..."

Offline SgtRock

• Supporter
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2011, 02:53:57 am »
Dear Chris:

--I also recommend Michael Malone; Author of "Bill and Dave" a history of HP. If I were you I would call his publisher and try to get him. Your program would be good exposure.

Barnes and Noble Publishing Inc.
Private Subsidiary, Headquarters Location
122 Fifth Ave., New York, NY 10011-5605, United States
(800)843-2665, (212)633-3300, (212)675-0413 fax, http://www.barnesandnoble.com/

See if you can get some books for prizes. See link below for M. Malone discussing his book:

http://fora.tv/2007/05/18/History_of_Hewlett_Packard

"Three weeks in the lab will save you a day in the library every time" Stanley Williams, HP Labs

Best Regards
Clear Ether
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 03:36:06 am by SgtRock »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2011, 03:59:21 am »
Dear Chris and Dave:
--Have a female production assistant get an Audiophool, or even better would be one of the "Zero Point Energy" guys, or best of all would be the guy that sells the bicycle wheel with the magnets on it. I would really like to see him taken out behind the dumpster.

-- To get any real fun out of it, you would not want go gobble him up all at once. Oh no, you would have to play along credulously, a' la Art Bell for 15 or 20 minutes. This might necessitate duct taping Dave Jones to a chair and paralyzing his vocal cords with a short acting drug. Now stay with me.

--Chris, you would just keep on paying out rope to the guy for 10 minutes. Then you start to ask increasingly  pertinent questions for the next few minutes, and as soon as Dave's Vocal chords recover, cut him loose and then, you can both start toying with your prey. You have seen a cat with a mouse, yes? When the guy starts getting hostile, then you can both start laying the wood to his ass, right smartly, figuratively speaking of course.

--Then the guy storms off of the set, or you cut his feed or whatever. Now you demolish his entire schpiel, point by point.

--Properly done, me hearties, that would make some fine radio. And provide a public service as well.

Not a chance.
The result would be they will take specific soundbites to add credibility to their cause.
As Richard Dawkins always says about debating creationists - "It'll look better on their resume than mine..."
That's why I wouldn't give them the time of day.

Dave.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf