Author Topic: Music in YouTube videos? No.  (Read 11002 times)

Offline stitchTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Music in YouTube videos? No.
« on: October 08, 2014, 08:18:35 pm »
Dave is justly annoyed at youtube creators who punish their viewers with unnecessary music.  I wish more people would say so.  Music unnecessarily imposed on videos is annoying, distracting, and off-topic.   I don't click on electronics videos because I want to hear music.  I have itunes.

Offline os40la

• Regular Contributor
Re: Music in YouTube videos? No.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 08:34:53 pm »
 :-+
"No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express"

Offline sacherjj

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 08:42:48 pm »
The most annoying are those that have text obscuring what you are trying to see, instead of them describing it. 

Offline os40la

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 08:49:32 pm »
The most annoying are those that have text obscuring what you are trying to see, instead of them describing it.

Yea I hear ya... The idiots that type in some text explaining what they are trying to say instead of just saying it.  :palm:
"No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express"

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 10:32:29 pm »
The only thing worse is people who make videos and don't talk at all  |O
So all you get is 10 minutes of them breathing and fumbling around etc

Offline nixfu

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 11:16:47 pm »
Well.   There goes my plans for a "rockin to the ooscilloscopes" youtube channel with nothing but tunes driving a dancing scope display.

I was even planning monthly special episodes like having special guests such as Chris Gammell spin their favorite tunes and other specials using a 4 channel scope and some long lost quadraphonic stereo records. haha.  :-DD

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadraphonic_sound
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 11:33:33 pm by nixfu »

Offline sacherjj

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 05:57:47 pm »
Man, I found a winner today.  Looking at some 1-2kW 12V power supplies and found this video.

In case you didn't want to have to manually scroll through this datasheet.    :palm:

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 06:14:24 pm »

agree, those are the worst ones.... i don't know why some guys are afraid to talk... i don't care of someone's accent or voice is "strange" i watch the videos because of content. and actually talking about the stuff is very important even if the picture is self-explanatory.

and regarding the music in tech videos - that's the second most annoying thing after the videos where the author doesn't talk.

Offline mswhin63

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 05:48:26 am »
One thing YouTube should do is place the number of Thumbsup and Thumbsdown on videos like this so we don't waste time clicking on it. Even with my current Bronchitis, if I was to make a video I would say something.   :-/O

These videos are the ones that I thumb down straight away.  I very rarely thumb down too, instead just block seeing the user again.

Offline Refrigerator

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 08:05:08 pm »
I think that there must be always some sound/information going around in a video, otherwise it's the same crap that makes you sleep during classes*, if there's music it should be atleast mached to the video, it should also be not too loud, overpowering the video with varoius sounds makes it hard to concentrate and understant the information within the video. Having no sound whatsoever is just as bad, it makes the video awkward and uncomfortable to watch, playing your own music during that kind of video just adds to the inconvenience.
I hate it when i have to mute/downvote a video but sometimes it just has to be done.

*when the subject is so boring that your brain goes to a " brain fart " mode.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 08:08:48 pm by Refrigerator »
I have a blog at http://brimmingideas.blogspot.com/ . Now less empty than ever before !
An expert of making MOSFETs explode.

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 05:43:23 pm »
I am against music during videos and radio programs (with content of people talking). Music can be inserted between speech segments, but it is a cheap (-ish) show trick so to speak. Music increase noise level significantly, makes harder to understand speech and unfocus attention.
There were examples of radio/TV programs from media sources (including public sources), where music was louder than speech! :palm:

Dave's videos are serious content of both visual content and commentary - there is no need for music.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 06:05:49 pm »
I am against music during videos and radio programs (with content of people talking). Music can be inserted between speech segments, but it is a cheap (-ish) show trick so to speak. Music increase noise level significantly, makes harder to understand speech and unfocus attention.
There were examples of radio/TV programs from media sources (including public sources), where music was louder than speech! :palm:

Dave's videos are serious content of both visual content and commentary - there is no need for music.

Agreed.  Well said.

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 02:28:09 pm »

A good intro tune or sting is OK, helps with that branding identity, but agreed no music elsewhere.
I do wish that the people who do use intro music would take a little more time or get someone musical to help. So many sound like I should prepare for battle or a rave.
Character is good, but it should be within the context of the vid itself. EG (good 1970's-BBC style intro):

Music during the video is just a distraction, taking focus from the video intent.

As everything there are exceptions, music/sound can be used to denote a light-hearted moment, an intellectual refrain from the subject. EG the animated shorts within the Secret life of Machines.

Offline ConKbot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 03:26:21 pm »
Tell that to carsandwater www.youtube.com/user/carsandwater

Most videos are sparse on the words, and 250k subscribers.  He just does the whole not talking thing well.   ;D

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2014, 04:39:47 pm »
A good intro tune or sting is OK, helps with that branding identity ...

The Youtube link you provided is a good one.  The intro tune is OK also, but it lasts for 25 seconds, so you must suffer through it or fast forward through it every time you watch one of his videos.

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2014, 02:32:32 pm »
A good intro tune or sting is OK, helps with that branding identity ...

The Youtube link you provided is a good one.  The intro tune is OK also, but it lasts for 25 seconds, so you must suffer through it or fast forward through it every time you watch one of his videos.

Yes, there are fine points and adjustments to suit styles of person/show.
Just think if it is done right, it certainly can be positive to the show, not to be ruled out without due consideration.

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2014, 08:27:17 am »
it does take a lot for some people to start talking on videos, i did for me! All of my early ones were silent  :( The worst ones for me are those that use an computer generated voice thats reading from a text file... that really bugs me!

i rarely use music in my computer or electronics videos, i think maybe a couple of times when it's been timelapsed just so it's not silent.

But yes nothing worse that clicking a video and some thunderous heavy metal starts blasting out at you, thankfully you dont see much of that on electronics related videos!

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2014, 09:17:04 pm »

When I was a kid there was a thing on children's TV with a guy making stuff from card board a such and only humming

http://youtu.be/ZnlVPv5TwGQ

It was actually quite smart because it meant they could sell it to TV stations all over the world

Offline bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 05:54:30 pm »

When I was a kid there was a thing on children's TV with a guy making stuff from card board a such and only humming

http://youtu.be/ZnlVPv5TwGQ

It was actually quite smart because it meant they could sell it to TV stations all over the world

He..He

I remember those  :-+

/Bingo

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf