Author Topic: solar for Dave  (Read 3107 times)

Offline poundyTopic starter

• Contributor
solar for Dave
« on: January 22, 2013, 12:14:04 am »
Dave, you don't need to spend up big on 1kW system.  A 2kW system can be had for $3500 (probably cheaper at fly-by-nighters or using less reputable hardware), assuming you are now willing to trade your renewable energy certificates in to the vendor.

I have no affiliation to these folks, I went with someone else to install my system (a couple of years ago now) but I think they have good pre-sales and after-sales reputation. 
http://www.energymatters.com.au/specials/nsw-solar-power-deals.php?utm_source=NewsletterMailingList&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=EM130122L

Their deal this week is 2kW of panels (I'd support spending the extra on REC panels but that's just me), 2kW Aurora inverter, $2777 ($3277 for REC panels).  Or they have an online 1kW system for $2k. 

But as you said on the show, if you don't shift your load to the time you're producing the power, you're not getting much for it :( Still, better to offset some of your electricity costs than not !

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: solar for Dave
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 03:33:04 am »
Doesn't include installation!

Dave.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 04:39:46 am »
climb on the roof and do half, then pay for the check. Bobby did 15000 installation checks last year as part of a contract, and he has a plastic hip. the checks involve climbing on the roof as well.

Offline poundyTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 05:35:21 am »
Oh, and there's a "new thought" on how to balance power production when you're on the Nett FIT that NSW currently has. 

Traditionally on a Gross FIT you would maximise production by pointing all panels north, to maximise their exposure to the sun's rays.  Tilting them more in winter is good if you can. 

Now it is sometimes suggested that you should have half your panels pointed more east, and half more west, to balance the pickup over the morning and afternoon periods.  So instead of a huge peak in the middle of the day and two lower shoulders, you have a flatter production curve from earlier in the day to later in the day, meaning you don't have to shift as much load into the midday period.

If you haven't had an install done yet, and if you have the opportunity to do this kind of install, it may be worth considering.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf