Author Topic: #246 – Robots are coming – Ominous Operational Overhaul  (Read 3765 times)

Offline wilfredTopic starter

• Super Contributor
#246 – Robots are coming – Ominous Operational Overhaul
« on: April 23, 2015, 11:39:41 am »
/.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 01:03:39 am by wilfred »

Offline Royce

• Contributor
Re: #246 – Robots are coming – Ominous Operational Overhaul
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 08:26:10 pm »
I come down on Chris's side. Robots don't have to be as good or dispace 100% of jobs to have the potential for serious economic harm to quite large segments of the population.

While AI has langished for some time, "expert machines" have been taking sudden jumps lately. I tuned into the original DARPA Grand Challenge fully expecting the utter failure we saw. But then the next go-around had five finishers. Then they moved to the Air Force base roads complete with human drivers that deliberately broke the rules sometimes and still had many sucessful completions. I never expected those vehicles to advance in their capabilities so quickly.

It was a reminder that reality may outstrip my ability to imagine it.

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 03:23:35 pm »
Robots will definitely have a big impact, but I don't think it's as doom and gloom as that video tries to portray. This is similar to computers revolutionizing business from the 70s and 80s and on. A similar anti computer sentiment existed back then as well.

Sure a lot of menial desk jobs disappeared but many new jobs also appeared. With improved productivity the society benefited in different areas. It's safe to say that proliferation of personal computers and computers in general has had a positive effect on the society. Despite the fact that computers automated many people out of a particular job.

With improved productivity of robots and less reliance on the human factor manufacturing jobs are starting to come back to US for example. In form of engineering positions. People whose jobs disappear will have to retrain.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 03:53:59 pm by Muxr »

Offline Royce

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 05:53:40 pm »
With improved productivity of robots and less reliance on the human factor manufacturing jobs are starting to come back to US for example. In form of engineering positions. People whose jobs disappear will have to retrain.

This is key. Not everyone is cut out to be an engineer. The more general concern is that robots put upward pressure on the minimum skills/talent required to be employable. Also the number of jobs lost may well not be equal to the number of egineering jobs gained. Just imagine if McDonald's figured out how to completely automate their restaurants. There'd probably be one or two people maintaining half a dozen restaurants. That's a alot of positions lost.

My hope and expectation is that all this comes on slow enough that we have time to address it. My worry is that we won't have the foresight to address it until a pretty big number of folks are added to the ranks of the disenfranchised.

Offline funkyant

• Supporter
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 08:37:25 pm »
This is pretty cool. This guy has taken the same approach as Dave's theory.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf