Author Topic: !UPDATED! Beginners Shopping list!  (Read 5452 times)

Offline LisbethTopic starter

• Contributor
  • Take apart all the things!!! ^u^
!UPDATED! Beginners Shopping list!
« on: May 11, 2015, 01:45:04 am »
Hey everyone!

Bout a couple weeks ago, I made a post here about my shopping list. I realized I wasn't getting as much bang for my buck
by a nice friend of mine as he suggested I try SparkFun. I check it out, and dear lord in heaven, I get SO much more!

First off, the soldering Iron. Geniuine Hakko, which is always a good sign. I also found the ever so elegant Chisel tip so that's
taken care of as well. But I also found some alligator clip jumpers, a moderately good digital multimeter, a screwdriver kit with a large bit set,
spools of differently colored hookup wire (solid core), a nice tool kit that comes with a bundle of tools and with a nice carrying case. ^^
All in all for slightly under 200$! I also went and added a notebook and hackerspace passport, cuz why not? X3

Here's the wishlist containing all the tools if you wanna check them out!
https://www.sparkfun.com/wish_lists/111182

I would love some more suggestions and tips! ^^ :-+
>DEDSEC:/

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Re: !UPDATED! Beginners Shopping list!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 02:07:54 am »
Better price for the Hakko here:

http://www.all-spec.com/products/FX-888D.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwg7yqBRCu5NmlgMm6i08SJADDEudZ9Sf0YXucTKmGDJhhiXPX2ohhyQXCAk3Sv1rzSiYATxoCRvfw_wcB

Please don't try to measure anything but low voltage with that meter, it's too dangerous.  I have 'precision' screwdrivers with bit sets and I like them but I also have numerous screwdrivers in different sizes/styles.  You will find trying to fit the bit sets into tight spaces becomes difficult with the bulge on the shaft that holds the bits.  It seems that the more individual screwdrivers I get, the less I use the sets.  You might be better suited by buying screwdriver sets instead.  It will cost more but hey, who doesn't want to have more tools ;D  Don't forget solder/flux, isopropyl alcohol, flush cutters, dental probes, locking hemostats (probes and hemostats are plentiful and cheap at flea markets).  A package of bamboo skewers also serves double duty as non conductive high tech pointy thingies for probing circuits and old toothbrushes are good for cleaning flux residue.  A variable output power supply will also be useful.  I'm sure others will add to this.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 02:33:13 am »
Please don't try to measure anything but low voltage with that meter, it's too dangerous.  I have 'precision' screwdrivers with bit sets and I like them but I also have numerous screwdrivers in different sizes/styles.  You will find trying to fit the bit sets into tight spaces becomes difficult with the bulge on the shaft that holds the bits.  It seems that the more individual screwdrivers I get, the less I use the sets.  You might be better suited by buying screwdriver sets instead.  It will cost more but hey, who doesn't want to have more tools ;D  Don't forget solder/flux, isopropyl alcohol, flush cutters, dental probes, locking hemostats (probes and hemostats are plentiful and cheap at flea markets).  A package of bamboo skewers also serves double duty as non conductive high tech pointy thingies for probing circuits and old toothbrushes are good for cleaning flux residue.  A variable output power supply will also be useful.  I'm sure others will add to this.

Why do I have to have such a small budget...

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 02:40:42 am »

How much more money can we you spend?  ;)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline cellularmitosis

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 03:33:25 am »
If you've got another $50, you should get a power supply.

I've been happy with this one:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bench-Power-Supply-0-2Amp-0-18VDC-Adjustable-DC-Regulated-CSI1802X-/221584095605?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339770f975

I'd suggest replacing the pots with 10-turn pots as your first hack on this piece of equipment.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/picked-up-a-csi1802x-bench-supply-%28$50-0-18v-0-2a%29/

A good goal would be to try to limit yourself to only buying one (crappy) power supply ever.  When you inevitably need second one, or one with better specs, design and build yourself!  Building your own power supply seems to be like a Jedi making his own light saber: at some point every EE hobbyist must do this as a right of passage :)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 03:37:50 am by cellularmitosis »
LTZs: KX FX MX CX PX Frank A9 QX

Offline Johndi

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 03:48:16 am »
I noticed that your flag states you're in the US.  If that is the case, then I would look at Lowes, Home Depot, or your local hardware store for a precision screwdriver set.  I have the HDX 23 piece precision screwdriver set pictured here and its done me well for things that I've needed to do for the price: http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-Precision-Screwdriver-Set-23-Piece-009-177-HDX/203436713

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 05:33:32 am »
I noticed that your flag states you're in the US.  If that is the case, then I would look at Lowes, Home Depot, or your local hardware store for a precision screwdriver set.  I have the HDX 23 piece precision screwdriver set pictured here and its done me well for things that I've needed to do for the price: http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-Precision-Screwdriver-Set-23-Piece-009-177-HDX/203436713

The one I have in mind has a bit more than the one you suggest:

4" ABS Plastic Handle with Rubberized Grip
5" Flexible Extension Neck
5" Steel Extension Bar
Torx T4, T5, T7, T6, T8, T10, T15, T20
Hex Socket 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, 3.5, 4
Tri-Wing 1.5, 2.0
Triangle 2.0, 2.3
Star 1.5, 2.0
Center Dot 1.0
PZ0, PZ1
M 2.5, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, 4.5, 5.0, 5.5
H 2.3
Slotted 1.3, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, 4.0
Phillips PH00, PH0, PH1, PH2

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 05:38:22 am »
If you've got another $50, you should get a power supply.

I've been happy with this one:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bench-Power-Supply-0-2Amp-0-18VDC-Adjustable-DC-Regulated-CSI1802X-/221584095605?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339770f975

I'd suggest replacing the pots with 10-turn pots as your first hack on this piece of equipment.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/picked-up-a-csi1802x-bench-supply-%28$50-0-18v-0-2a%29/

A good goal would be to try to limit yourself to only buying one (crappy) power supply ever.  When you inevitably need second one, or one with better specs, design and build yourself!  Building your own power supply seems to be like a Jedi making his own light saber: at some point every EE hobbyist must do this as a right of passage :)

I'm thinking about building my own, nothing too powerful, then I can move on to buy my own.

Offline kizzap

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 09:12:16 am »

The one I have in mind has a bit more than the one you suggest:

4" ABS Plastic Handle with Rubberized Grip
5" Flexible Extension Neck
5" Steel Extension Bar
Torx T4, T5, T7, T6, T8, T10, T15, T20
Hex Socket 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, 3.5, 4
Tri-Wing 1.5, 2.0
Triangle 2.0, 2.3
Star 1.5, 2.0
Center Dot 1.0
PZ0, PZ1
M 2.5, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, 4.5, 5.0, 5.5
H 2.3
Slotted 1.3, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, 4.0
Phillips PH00, PH0, PH1, PH2

Being that you are just starting out, I would consider getting something like this:

I got that set at an "ag" show (agriculture:- farming) here in Australia for less then $5. I would be sure that you would be able to find something similar where ever you are.

Then, get a decentish driver/handle, and it should get you through most problems you will face. The only exception to those are for those nasty screws that are recessed deep, in which case you generally need a better set of screwdrivers, but when that comes up, you can buy them then.

As for designing the PSU: Great idea! Just don't do what I did, and let feature creep set in. Also be aware that any store bought one will be generally cheaper then building your own, as they have the benefit of mass production behind them.
<MatCat> The thing with aircraft is murphy loves to hang out with them
<Baljem> hey, you're the one who apparently pronounces FPGA 'fuhpugger'

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 10:56:00 am »
One issue I have been noticing with this post and the one before is that people keep linking me All Spec.
Now don't get me wrong, All Spec is a great distributor for engineers. But I'm a hobbyist, and even though
their soldering iron is cheaper than the one on SparkFun, the shipping does not... It adds 6 dollars and some change
to the original price. While buying the iron from SparkFun, or anything above 75$ on the site comes with free shipping.
So yeah, I think I will buy from All Spec WAAAY down the road if I get really into it, but for now, I'm satisfied with what
SparkFun provides.

Also, as far as the multimeter, I would not trust it as far as I could throw it. But, everybody has to start somewhere and
I DO NOT intend to be messing with wall socket voltage any time soon. Also, it beats having to pay 40$ for a multimeter
that can do the same thing, except with better design. Sometimes you have to compromise...

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 11:37:52 am »
Bout a couple weeks ago, I made a post here about my shopping list. I realized I wasn't getting as much bang for my buck...

Here's the wishlist containing all the tools if you wanna check them out!
https://www.sparkfun.com/wish_lists/111182

As per the Hakko FX-888D, you might want to consider getting it from TEquipment.net instead (comes with a free cutter).
  • Free shipping over $99, which you'll reach just by adding a couple of tips. They even offer it in kits (extras are usually popular styles of tips).
  • They also offer a discount (code sent via PM), which usually makes them extremely competitive on price, if not the cheapest source.

Other Tools:
  • Screwdrivers - I'd recommend considering a dedicated set or two for slotted, Phillips, and Torx (ideally, security Torx <has a hole drilled in the end of the screwdriver>, as they'll work on either security or standard Torx screws). The Wiha 26190 (basic slotted & Phillips set; also includes a free pair of needle nose pliers), and Wera 2067/6 (Wiha doesn't offer a set of this type). Use a bit set elsewhere, and upgrade as needed.

There is also something similar to bit sets, but it's an entire shaft length, instead of 1" bits (aka System 4 blade products from Wiha; example). Pricing can be very similar or more than dedicated drivers, depending on the set (blade system is more expensive than 1" bit versions, but do keep in mind, there's usually a screwdriver profile ground into each end, so 2x per blade; exceptions would be nut drivers).

• Cutters & Pliers - Freebies included with the recommendations above (Wiha set + Hakko FX-888D Kit 2).  :-+
  • Tool Roll you linked; skip it due to ^. Other tools you'll want can be had inexpensively from eBay, such as the vacuum desolder pump, and a pair or two of tweezers (say a fine point tip & curved tip, Vetus brand).
  • DMM - UT139C. It has a nice set of features and has decent protection for the price (you'd be able to use it with AC/mains).  ;)

You will find trying to fit the bit sets into tight spaces becomes difficult with the bulge on the shaft that holds the bits.
+1  :-+

Much better to get the commonly used drivers as individuals to avoid this problem. There are times even standard shaft lengths won't reach the bottom of some recessed holes (i.e. need 4" shaft length).

Don't forget solder/flux, isopropyl alcohol, flush cutters, dental probes, locking hemostats (probes and hemostats are plentiful and cheap at flea markets).
+1 here as well.  :-+

Make sure the consumables mentioned ^ are quality brands, NOT stuff made in China (solder & flux) . Look for brands such as Kester, Multicore (Henkel), AIM (American Iron & Metals), Indium, MG Chemicals, and Alpha (Cookson). All-spec is a good source for these. Granted, you'll have to pay shipping, but they're very fair with it (little to no markup from what they pay), and in the end, they're still excellent pricing to your door (particularly useful regarding solder & flux for example).
  • Solder (note the diameter, as it's good for general purpose; flux type is RA <= Rosin, Activated>, and a flux core size of 66, which is 3.3% by weight). Lead based alloys are easier to use (only lead issue is if you handle it, then stick your fingers in your mouth or up your nose without washing your hands first  :o  ;D).
  • Flux This is also a quality RA product, and more importantly, is available in hobbyist friendly sized containers. You can dispense it with a needle bottle, refillable felt or brush tip pen, or just use a hobby artist brush (usually located inexpensively on eBay and similar sites; some may be counterfeits, such as BON-102 refillable brush pens, but should do the job).

Offline Fat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 02:49:44 pm »
I have had bad luck with the Vetus tweezers (maybe it was just my set?), the tips were very soft and after a few days they didn't touch at the tip.  Tried rebending, but not much luck. I tried the Hakko brand, and have had some very good luck with them. They are not much more than a pair of Vetus if you shop around.

I have a background in watch making (previous hobby) and am kind of particular about my tweezers.

Fat

Offline redshift

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 04:36:15 pm »
Here is my advice:

Hakko FX-888D + Chisel Tip - This makes up more than half of your budget but if you're comfortable with that, it's a great iron. Ordering from TEquipment instead, as nanofrog suggested, makes a lot of sense. You'll also need some solder(the little tube in the roll-up kit doesn't count  :P) and good solder is expensive.

Sparkfun Multimeter - It's hard to give any advice on this unless you're willing to buy a more expensive meter. But no auto-ranging, doesn't power down on it's own, etc. Also, generally cheap meters like this have pretty awful continuity testers, but this is just a hunch.

Six 25' Spools of 22AWG Wire - This seems like a good price especially considering you get six colours and a box that dispenses them.

Aligator Clip Leads - Good price but I'd think if I had to choose between the two, I would opt for female-male and female-female test leads instead.

Roll-up Tool Bag Kit - Convenient. But I think that you could source the components more cheaply. Also, the look of the solder, wire-strippers, cross-lock tweezers, and screwdriver set don't impress me.

Screwdriver Set - Cool.

But one thing I'm wondering about this list: Is this just the equipment you're buying? Because you have no parts to play with. Sparkfun will have competitive prices on genuine Arduino's, etc if you want to throw some stuff like that in too. Their components are expensive though.

Lastly, do you have a breadboard? Some sort of power supply? Small collection of passives? Because you should get all of those things too  ;D You might be interested in getting something like this or this so that you don't have to worry about resistor/capacitor values for a while.

Maybe we can have a follow-up digikey cart when you have some new projects in mind  ;)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 05:43:48 am by redshift »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf