Author Topic: 10.000 EUR for small scalle cell phone production line?  (Read 2567 times)

Offline dds737Topic starter

• Contributor
10.000 EUR for small scalle cell phone production line?
« on: May 20, 2015, 06:03:31 pm »
While reading this blog: http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/business-models-for-open-hardware/2011/03/19
I've read this: "Significantly, the Shanzai companies are almost universally bootstrapped on minimal capital with almost no additional financing: Mitchell Tseng reported that 10.000 € are enough to start such a company, and it may eventually scale to over 50 million € revenue per year within a couple years."

Could this be a possibility elsewhere, or only in China?
What kind machines are needed to let's say, small scale cell phone production? (Off course with Mediatek Chipset) :)

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
Re: 10.000 EUR for small scalle cell phone production line?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 05:19:59 am »
To actually produce smartphones all on your own you'll need several 100k$. SMD production line, plastic moulding,...

So with a budget of 10k$ you'll be looking at outsourcing most or all of it. Of course, the 10k$ is capital. That doesn't mean you can't buy stuff (such as a production line) on credit.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 06:49:24 am »
Would love to see a link for the MTK stuff, but I guess it's something like http://neoden.eu/en/smt-production-line-bundle?

That's nice and dandy for a few prototypes and low volume stuff but for actual volume? And in addition to that, most of these cheapo placers crap out at 0402 which would kinda suck for mobile phones. And I would imagine that the rest of the packages would be out of their league as well...

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 07:09:31 am »
Oh, with "MTK sells entire solutions you mean they sell chips and offer schematics, BOM, SW a complete DK for 10k$? I figured you wanted to start a SMD production line on a 10k$ budget  :P

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf