Author Topic: 10 Mhz OCXO standard  (Read 5011 times)

Offline M0BSWTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Left this site 2013, they will not delete it ????
10 Mhz OCXO standard
« on: December 09, 2013, 10:13:09 am »
Hello Everyone,
What  I've made a start on building is a 10 Mhz square wave frequency standard, which is something I've been itching to build for quite a while, and I'm sure you will know is very useful device in my radio shack.
I do have a couple of questions regarding this project, you may I hope like to ponder over and hopefully give some advice on.
1/ The ocxo is in a can, to I need to also mount it to a heat sink, or are they ok with out!!!.
2/ I want to have 4 bnc outputs, so would it be advisable to make 4 buffer outputs one for each output, I'm not following any particular circuits. so "anyone ever built one". Always any of your help would be appreciated.

Paul
M0BSW  UK Radio Amateur
no one would or will tell me how to delete this account

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
Re: 10 Mhz OCXO standard
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 11:14:07 am »
There is no need to try and cool an OCXO, the internal oven is designed to heat up and the less heat you drag away from it the better. Just make sure that the ambient doesn't get too near the oven temperature.

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 12:20:18 pm »
I linked that mainly for the amp/buffer bit, the amp chip is EOL, but can still be found around http://octopart.com/partsearch#!?q=CLC409

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 04:12:28 pm »
Thanks Peter

Offline Matje

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 11:57:45 pm »
Hello Everyone,
What  I've made a start on building is a 10 Mhz square wave frequency standard, which is something I've been

Think about the square wave part again. Usually frequency standards use sine waves, because these have way less harmonics and are much easier to distribute. Most test equipment  takes sine waves as reference inputs AFAIK.

Lots of harmonics are a very bad thing in a radio shack I think.

itching to build for quite a while, and I'm sure you will know is very useful device in my radio shack.
I do have a couple of questions regarding this project, you may I hope like to ponder over and hopefully give some advice on.
1/ The ocxo is in a can, to I need to also mount it to a heat sink, or are they ok with out!!!.

No heatsink needed, nor would it be a good idea.

2/ I want to have 4 bnc outputs, so would it be advisable to make 4 buffer outputs one for each output, I'm not following any particular circuits. so "anyone ever built one". Always any of your help would be appreciated.

The keyword would be buffer amplifier or distribution amplifier.

Think about and check what signal level you'll usually need, I think something like +7 to +10 dBm sine wave into 50 ohms is quite common.

Also think about whether you want electrically isolated (floating) outputs. I personally feel these are very nice to have - but it's more effort/costs of course.

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 12:14:42 am »
One thing I would advise (if you want to preserve accuracy and stability of a good OCXO) is that you buffer the output well before you then fan it out to 4 outputs. This is to prevent short term load pulling of the OCXO each time you connect something to one of the outputs.

I wouldn't worry too much about using a 10MHz square wave as my 10MHz OCXO (in a box) has a square wave output and this makes it compatible as an external reference for various counters or signal generators I have here.

You can always filter the square wave to a sine wave for some of your outputs anyway?

A lot depends on what accuracy you want or expect from it. Don't get too drawn into trying for fabulous stability or accuracy because there is little point in having this. I'm happy if my 10MHz OCXO is within 0.2Hz of 10MHz over several months of ageing. Usually it's better than this but I have resisted going for Rubidium or GPS locked standards. I did design and build a 10MHz (locked to 198kHz) offair standard many years ago and I use this to check all my various 10MHz references and keep them within 0.2Hz at 10MHz :)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 07:22:31 am »
One thing I would advise (if you want to preserve accuracy and stability of a good OCXO) is that you buffer the output well before you then fan it out to 4 outputs. This is to prevent short term load pulling of the OCXO each time you connect something to one of the outputs.

I wouldn't worry too much about using a 10MHz square wave as my 10MHz OCXO (in a box) has a square wave output and this makes it compatible as an external reference for various counters or signal generators I have here.

You can always filter the square wave to a sine wave for some of your outputs anyway?

A lot depends on what accuracy you want or expect from it. Don't get too drawn into trying for fabulous stability or accuracy because there is little point in having this. I'm happy if my 10MHz OCXO is within 0.2Hz of 10MHz over several months of ageing. Usually it's better than this but I have resisted going for Rubidium or GPS locked standards. I did design and build a 10MHz (locked to 198kHz) offair standard many years ago and I use this to check all my various 10MHz references and keep them within 0.2Hz at 10MHz :)
Thank you , I just want it for referencing , and for the experience of building one, because I'm at a stage where I can, I have emailed Gerry Sweeney, who has had a lot of experience with these, and has given me some valuable advice on the OCXO and in particular the one I've bought, plus how to make it go to sine wave by the use of a 10Mhz filter, re amplifying the  signal in the buffer stage, so I could I guess  have two sine wave and two square wave outputs.
Paul
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 07:26:09 am by M0BSW »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf