Author Topic: 10GHz Video Transmitter?  (Read 3956 times)

Offline CorrosiveTopic starter

10GHz Video Transmitter?
« on: July 19, 2015, 09:34:00 am »
Hello all, I'm currently trying to build an amateur tv transmitter using a 10ghz microwave doppler module such as this one http://www.amazon.com/SMAKN-Microwave-10-525GHz-Doppler-Detector/dp/B00FFW4AZ4

I have managed to modulate audio over this module without any issue however I've never worked with analog video before. I'm looking to hopefully take a composite video source, amplify it with a transistor and then use that to drive the module modulating it on the 5v input pin.

Thus far I haven't had much luck, I have managed to get it to transmit on the 10ghz ham band and down convert it with an lnb, sure enough I can pick it up on channel 60, 40, etc. What I see is a black screen while transmitting telling me I have a working carrier frequency.

If anyone is interested here is my attempt:

Is it possible to modulate video with one of these?

EDIT

I found this in an old magazine

Not sure if this will work on this module or not as it's not a gunn diode, but I'll give it a chance if I can salvage the needed components and post back here if it works.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 10:40:54 am by Corrosive »

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
Re: 10GHz Video Transmitter?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 07:36:13 pm »
The black screen is encouraging but I think I'd look at the TV input with a scope, to see how the sync is formed, and it will also give you a better view of what your mod/demod is achieving.
I'd also careful where I point that 10Ghz emitter, unless you already have enough children.
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Offline Dago

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronics blog about whatever I happen to build!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 07:53:37 pm »
I'd also careful where I point that 10Ghz emitter, unless you already have enough children.

Emitters like this are used in supermarket door openers... It will do absolutely nothing to you even if you sleep with it in your underpants. The transmit power is in the range of 0 dBm (1 mW).
Come and check my projects at http://www.dgkelectronics.com ! I also tweet as https://twitter.com/DGKelectronics

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 07:56:24 pm »
Emitters like this are used in supermarket door openers... It will do absolutely nothing to you even if you sleep with it in your underpants. The transmit power is in the range of 0 dBm (1 mW).
😉 I'll let you test that theory!
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Offline BennVenn

• Regular Contributor
    • BennVenn's site
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 08:59:47 pm »
I believe there is a bit of capacitance inside that module which will severely limit the bandwidth you can pass through it. I assume you are modulating the 5v supply by a few mV? Will be fine with audio (although attenuated) but trying to push through 5mhz might be troublesome. Sync pulses to reconstruct the frame should make it through OK though any video you do get into the transmitter will look pretty rotten on its way out.

Maybe remove the decoupling caps in the doppler unit, but it may not oscillate after...

Offline CorrosiveTopic starter

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 12:14:17 am »
Without the caps I did run into an issue with oscillation, I have no idea what the bandwidth capability is on this thing unfortunately.
I do have a scope but it's only a 10mhz model, not sure if it'll work for this application or not.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf