Author Topic: 110v in UK  (Read 6765 times)

Offline HomerATopic starter

• Contributor
110v in UK
« on: January 07, 2015, 10:04:02 pm »
Hi all,
this is my first post here :-)  and forgive this stupid question, but I live in the UK (240v) and I can get hold of a cheap (2nd hand) Antex soldering station. Is there any way to convert it to run on 240v? 

Many thanks

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
Re: 110v in UK
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 10:07:12 pm »
Hi all,
this is my first post here :-)  and forgive this stupid question, but I live in the UK (240v) and I can get hold of a cheap (2nd hand) Antex soldering station. Is there any way to convert it to run on 240v? 

Many thanks

Two possibilities:

a) Use a 240 V/120 V mains step down transformer

b) Open up the soldering station, examine the transformer inside it and replace it with an equivalent transformer having a 240 V primary

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 10:12:34 pm »
Thanks for the response. Just checked step down transformers and they are between £80 and £100  so not really an option.

Could try the second option but not sure where to get the correct transformer.. Will check this out.

Online helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 10:20:46 pm »
Many types of equipment have dual-voltage transformers even if there is no voltage switch on the panel.
This type of transformer has two primary windings, and is wired with the windings in parallel for 120V, series for 240V.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 10:31:56 pm »
thanks for the reply Helius.
this is the Antex 660-tc. So does that mean I can just change the internal transformer connections (bit of soldering)  and it will work on 240v? :-)

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 10:40:15 pm »
FWIW Maplin have a 300W step down transformer for 30 quid. Order code VR05F.

I don't have this exact one, but I did buy a similar one from Maplin about 20 years ago and it's still regularly in use today. I'm not often one to sing the praises of Maplin, but in this case it wasn't a POS.

Be careful of underestimating current and power draw. They have a 100W wall wart style comverter too, about 23 quid. That may be enough, you'd have to check your soldering station spec. Personally I'd spend the extra £7.

Offline krivx

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 10:40:45 pm »
Thanks for the response. Just checked step down transformers and they are between £80 and £100  so not really an option.

Could try the second option but not sure where to get the correct transformer.. Will check this out.

I would look for a used transformer - they are very common on the used market as most construction site tools run on 120VAC. I bought a 300W step down transformer for 15euro a couple of years ago.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 10:47:51 pm »
again thanks for responding
just done some research after Helius coment and found this video.

looks like the transformers have both connections on? :-)

Offline katzohki

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 11:06:06 pm »
this is the Antex 660-tc. So does that mean I can just change the internal transformer connections (bit of soldering)  and it will work on 240v? :-)

Pretty much. Make sure not to use the soldering iron on itself!!!!

Online helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 11:26:35 pm »
Yes, it looks like the xfmr in that video has dual primary windings. When wired for 110V, the live wire from the switch will be connected to the same side of both windings. What you want for 220V is to make it connect to only one winding, with the two windings in series. Don't reverse the direction from live-to-neutral of the windings.
It should be easier to understand with a picture.

Offline ConKbot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 11:31:26 pm »

http://110world.co.uk/1kva-powertool-transformer-p-100.html

and if they are commonly used for power tools on work sites, would there be a chance you could pick one up at a pawn shop?  £46

Offline Seekonk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 12:21:19 am »
Many older consumer electronics have dual voltage transformers.  These could be connected to form an auto transformer.  Lots of things have a transformer rated between 50 and 100W, enough for an iron.  I'm in 120V world.  I would have no trouble creating 240V for free.

Offline LukeW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 04:26:06 am »

Only for expert skilled users  :D

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 06:31:15 am »

And just to note, he is only kidding. The tip is hopefully grounded so touching anything other than ground will short the iron and probably the operator.

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 09:40:54 am »
Thanks all for your comments. I have bought the iron and I will give an update once I have converted it and got it working
 :) :D ;D

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2015, 07:23:33 pm »
I wouldn't assume that the transformer is the same as that particular video has a UK plug on, it is possible it has a different transformer inside with dual windings, a 110V model might have a single winding transformer.

Anyway, don't tit around with mains voltage if you don't know what you are doing!  Also, I would suggest checking the output voltage on the transformer if it has another available winding.

Just my thoughts.

Offline katzohki

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Blog
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 10:06:57 pm »

And just to note, he is only kidding. The tip is hopefully grounded so touching anything other than ground will short the iron and probably the operator.

You're right, but I prefer to discourage people from working on "live" mains voltage.

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2015, 12:32:43 am »
Hi all,
thanks for all the replies. I thought I would give you an update on how it went with the soldering iron. It turns out Helios was right. The transformer is a dual winding one. I did email Antex direct, just to check and there main man emailed me back to say that all there irons have dual windings . Here are a couple of photos of mine.

I just pulled off the connector from the 110v and put it on the 230v and bingo all worked (had to change the plug to UK one first).

Thanks for all the help. :-)

Offline katzohki

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2015, 03:23:22 pm »
Great! :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf