Author Topic: 110V to 5V Module?  (Read 2517 times)

Offline metrologistTopic starter

• Super Contributor
110V to 5V Module?
« on: July 06, 2017, 02:24:27 am »
Time's up!

I retrieved this module from a Brother MFP printer and I suspect it will take 110V AC on the white connector and output 5V. I started to draw a schematic but got lost. The transistors are marked 667 and show as 120V 1A npn transistors. Am I on the right track? If it is what I suspect I would use it to power a couple of small 5V fans in a power supply I'm building.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
Re: 110V to 5V Module?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 05:51:14 am »
I see that board as a TDK high-voltage DC-AC inverter for CCFL backlighting. Not a 110VAC to 5VDC power supply.
They take in 5 or 12VDC and output 900-1500VAC at several mA. Enough to give you a nasty shock.
Probably a custom build for the printer display? TDK TAD376 has no search hits.
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogusd/645/2476.pdf

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 08:26:10 am »
Yes, it looks like a CCFL inverter. Going from what you've already reverse engineered and the picture of the board, it looks like a Royer converter circuit.

With regards to safety: the output frequency will be above 20kHz and will give you a burn more than a shock and the current will be limited to a non-lethal level.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 12:04:34 pm »
Oh, well now I must find a use for it.

I was working on the schematic a bit more and then went to feeding a signal from my sig gen at around 5V, I guess on the output side  :-[

« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 06:39:03 pm by metrologist »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 12:12:32 pm »
The previous comments are correct. One detail that detracts from your original assumption is that one of the poles of the white connector is directly tied to the negative output - if this was a mains power supply, one of the poles would be directly exposed to the low voltage section. Another giveaway is that the transformer construction is very inadequate for direct mains (50~60Hz) connection - usually at these frequencies the magnetic coupling requires a lot more wire and core material (and not ferrite as its core).
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 12:28:21 pm »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 02:54:27 pm »

I was working on the schematic a bit more and then went to feeding a signal from my sig gen at around 5V, I guess on the output side  :-[
Well, if anything, just be glad you did not use the module in the correct way with your oscilloscope plugged on the HV output - the oscilloscope wouldn't be happy with that.  :-BROKE
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 03:26:02 pm »

You appear to have got the taps wrong. The centre tap should go to the positive supply, via the inductor and it's likely the transistors' bases are driven from a separate winding. Plenty of schematics can be found by entering Royer converter into a search engine.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 06:39:37 pm »
I removed the images so as not to confuse someone in the future, since they are wrong.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 06:58:25 pm »
i just use usb chargers from discount stores.
if your in the u.k. - poundland ones are good ( "BigClive" does teardowns on poundland stuff on utube)

otherwise - inspect them before you trust them!!!!  :scared:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf