Author Topic: 1500A Current Transducer Test Rig - Suggestions  (Read 1252 times)

Offline japasetelagoasTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Just an ordinary electronics hobbyist.
1500A Current Transducer Test Rig - Suggestions
« on: July 19, 2018, 01:14:28 am »
Hi everyone,
I was thinking about developing this project at the company that I currently work at which involves building up a new current transducer test rig.
We assemble hall effect based current transducers and at the moment we're using a very crude device to test them, in order to get close to its 1500A range we use a huge toroidal transformer with a separate coil wrapped around it in order to amplify the current.

I wanted to make something a bit more professional, where I could test several transducers at once without the need to coil up the transformer, in other words, having proper 1500A running through the CT's. My main concern here is what kind of load I should use in order to reach such high currents while still trying to maintain the device as portable as it gets (by portable I mean, can be put on caster wheels and moved without the need of a bunch of guys or forklift).

Any literature are more than welcome.

Thanks!
The endless river...

Offline SG-1

• Regular Contributor
Re: 1500A Current Transducer Test Rig - Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 02:22:03 am »
We have equipment used to perform heat run tests for switchgear bus that can produce 4000A.  It uses multiple CT drivers, cooling fans & locomotive cable.  You do not need any load other than the cable or bus bar under test. You need to talk with a Current Transformer manufacturer as this type of CT is not usually advertised for sale. 

You may be able to find a large used dry type transformer & operate it with the secondary shorted out through your load.

Either way you are going to need a really nice set of casters to make it portable.
Advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise.

Offline Fletchez

• !
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 07:56:07 am »
The most important thing for knowledge in this forum.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 08:05:38 am »
Assuming it's AC, just use a transformer. You'll probably need to wind several secondary coils and connect them in parallel.

If this is DC, it's much more difficult. A transformer and MOSFET rectifier could be used, with a huge choke for the filter. A three phase input will be required and a 12 pulse or more rectifier to keep the ripple as low as possible.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 01:09:07 pm »
Assuming it's AC, just use a transformer. You'll probably need to wind several secondary coils and connect them in parallel.

If this is DC, it's much more difficult. A transformer and MOSFET rectifier could be used, with a huge choke for the filter. A three phase input will be required and a 12 pulse or more rectifier to keep the ripple as low as possible.

Unfortunately it's DC, I'll do some reading on the things you've mentioned though. Thanks for the answer.

Didn't quite get your point.
The endless river...

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 01:14:15 pm »

Didn't quite get your point.
That might be a bot/spammer. Their other post is similar. Quite often spammers make harmless but pointless posts, to increase their count, before they spam. Just ignore it and I'll report it to the moderator.

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 01:36:09 pm »
For low voltage KA range DC, it may be worth looking at homopolar generators.  You only need enough voltage to drive the required current through the resistance of the test conductor, its connections, and a 2000A current shunt, so the total power can be fairly low and the apparatus reasonably compact.  Vary the output by varying the speed. Probably the biggest problem is getting the test conductor loop far enough from the stray field of the generator   

« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 01:40:07 pm by Ian.M »

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 01:44:53 pm »
If I understand correctly from the first post, and please correct me if I'm wrong:

You test a 1500 amp current transducer by wrapping several turns? Well, let me tell you that this is the cheapest and most useful trick.

For instance, if you wrap just three turns, then the load current will be only 500 amps. Still a very large current but far more manageable.

You can fit as many turns as they will fit in the window area, and reduce the load current accordingly.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 02:26:57 pm »
If I understand correctly from the first post, and please correct me if I'm wrong:

You test a 1500 amp current transducer by wrapping several turns? Well, let me tell you that this is the cheapest and most useful trick.

For instance, if you wrap just three turns, then the load current will be only 500 amps. Still a very large current but far more manageable.

You can fit as many turns as they will fit in the window area, and reduce the load current accordingly.

Exactly, I think I'll stick with this idea. I'll just make it more organized, having individual coils for each of the current transducers. Now that I've seen all the replies here, actually running 1500A through the device is probably going to be a hassle to design, not to mention the safety concern that some of the people here are going to bring up.

Thanks.
The endless river...

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 03:05:32 pm »
Lead acid car batteries. If you buy the ones, which have 6x series cell in it, disassemble it, and you get 2V "infinite amps for a short time" voltage source. Or buy a bunch of loose cells, with bolt attachment. Yes, it is dangerous, especially, that it can weld itself into a short circuit, or heat up a wrench to red.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf