Author Topic: 2.4ghz amplifier  (Read 5470 times)

zorkwan

2.4ghz amplifier
« on: October 13, 2013, 12:34:05 am »
http://postimg.org/image/c0bj4wcjh/
heres the img how i think..
is there any way to amplify 2.4ghz wifi signal..i have 3 bars of 5 ...and if you have any diagram how to build one .Thx
just need to know if i can or not

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
Re: 2.4ghz amplifier
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 01:25:38 am »
Just tape a coat hanger to your wifi dongle

Offline madshaman

• Frequent Contributor
  • ego trans insani
2.4ghz amplifier
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 01:57:43 am »

is there any way to amplify 2.4ghz wifi signal..i have 3 bars of 5 ...and if you have any diagram how to build one .Thx

Do you think you will need to ensure that you don't amplify the transmitting signal since it will also be on your antenna?  Do you plan to amplify both directions of communication?
To be responsible, but never to let fear stop the imagination.

Offline hedgewallace

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 02:18:44 am »
You can buy WiFi boosters. Just put it in an area that has pretty good reception (4 or 5 bars) and it should boost your range a bit.

Check out this link: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372811,00.asp

One thing you might also want to look at is a network power line adapter. it's pretty much an adapter that can transmit network signals from an Ethernet cable through your power cables in your house. You would plug one adapter in near your modem, and the other adapter in near your computer, or WiFi router.

Offline alxnik

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 03:18:18 pm »
wifi is duplex. An amplifier will boost tx signal but rx will stay the same so the link will not be any better. To have a better link you need a better antenna.

Check your other post, you will find info there.

zorkwan

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 05:35:04 pm »

Do you think you will need to ensure that you don't amplify the transmitting signal since it will also be on your antenna?  Do you plan to amplify both directions of communication?
no just the receiver 

zorkwan

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 05:41:26 pm »
wifi is duplex. An amplifier will boost tx signal but rx will stay the same so the link will not be any better. To have a better link you need a better antenna.

so you mean that i cant amplify my receiver,only  my transmitter ,,cant understand why
theres signal coming from my transmitter to the receiver(antenna) and from my receiver ad a amplifier to get better signal and from there to my usb wifi adapter - and pc
antenna- to amp -to wifi adapter- to pc

Offline alxnik

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 08:49:06 pm »

so you mean that i cant amplify my receiver,only  my transmitter ,,cant understand why
theres signal coming from my transmitter to the receiver(antenna) and from my receiver ad a amplifier to get better signal and from there to my usb wifi adapter - and pc

I don't think there are any amplifiers that amplify the receiving signal, only transmit. Most probably you will get nothing anyway. What matters is the SNR (signal to noise ratio). If you amplify the receiving signal, you are amplifying the noise too. The only way to reliably get a better link is to get a higher gain antenna which must be directional. A yagi wifi antenna costs about 25 euros on ebay, and I doubt you will find a receiving signal amp (if it exists) with that kind of money.

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 03:52:38 am »
Just put an LM358 in non inverting configuration with a gain of 1,4  :palm:

Offline Kryoclasm

• Regular Contributor
  • KL3DL
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 08:43:41 am »
This works  a treat, but it is directional and ugly.
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-make-a-wifi-antenna-out-of-a-pringles-can-nb/
“I predict that very shortly the old-fashioned incandescent lamp, having a filament heated to brightness by the passage of electric current through it, will entirely disappear.” -Nikola Tesla

Offline HamiltonHipster

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 09:53:23 am »

I was thinking a LM741 because of its superior noise characteristics.

Zorkwan, you might want to try the coat hanger or pringles. Is 3/5 bars so bad? does it drop your data rate below whats provided by your ISP?

Offline ee.jmlp

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 11:31:54 am »
put a reflector in a places where the signal does not come to concentrate the received power in the antena. Not every distance will be ok, you must move it according of the power level received. Better if the reflector is concave or parabolic with its focus on the antenna.

Aluminium would be okay. Treat wifi singnal as light you cann't see.
-->
Yeah buddy!

Offline madshaman

• Frequent Contributor
  • ego trans insani
2.4ghz amplifier
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 12:49:47 pm »

no just the receiver

So you're absolutely sure the transmitted signal won't get in your amplifier, by reflection or other means?  How do you plan to ensure this?  (Maybe google "diplexer" and "duplexer")

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 01:27:14 pm »

I was thinking a LM741 because of its superior noise characteristics.

Zorkwan, you might want to try the coat hanger or pringles. Is 3/5 bars so bad? does it drop your data rate below whats provided by your ISP?
Are you aware that for amplifying a 2.4Ghz signal you need something, which has bigger gain-bandwidth than 2.4Ghz? Which is usually high-end stuff by itself, and you need $$$ equipment to test it if it is working properly or not.

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 01:31:11 pm »
Are you aware that for amplifying a 2.4Ghz signal you need something, which has bigger gain-bandwidth than 2.4Ghz? Which is usually high-end stuff by itself, and you need $$$ equipment to test it if it is working properly or not.
Oh... Surely he was being sarcastic

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 01:33:32 pm »
Oh... Surely he was being sarcastic
OK, I thought someone actually took my LM358 bait...

zorkwan

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 02:46:43 pm »

i bought a new antenna and have full internet access no data drop  ;D

I don't think there are any amplifiers that amplify the receiving signal, only transmit. Most probably you will get nothing anyway. What matters is the SNR (signal to noise ratio). If you amplify the receiving signal, you are amplifying the noise too. The only way to reliably get a better link is to get a higher gain antenna which must be directional. A yagi wifi antenna costs about 25 euros on ebay, and I doubt you will find a receiving signal amp (if it exists) with that kind of money.

Offline madshaman

• Frequent Contributor
  • ego trans insani
2.4ghz amplifier
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2013, 03:36:15 pm »

There's plenty of surplus high bandwidth amps on eBay fairly cheap, even more in the selective 800-900Mhz, 1750-2200Mhz and around 2.5Ghz for cellular, cellular data and wifi.

Offline geraldjhg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 06:30:54 pm »
hi
buy an amplified usb cable ant take dongle outside
could work
G E R A L D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf